Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons-do you have to do full stage 1 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slip ons-do you have to do full stage 1 or not?

Went to my HD dealer today to buy Rush slip ons for 2010 StreetBob. They sent me home with a list of over $1000 in work that will need done to put on slip ons. I don't need more power - (as my hubby would say) I'm just a girl....hahaha. Don't really want more power. I do a lot of backroad riding in Eastern NY and the sound helps the deer find me. I was hoping slips ons and maybe better air filter but they tell me I need power commander and Dyno or am starving my bike of air and fuel. Any help here? They also told me that Screaqming Eagle only slip ons that I wouldn't need to change anything but that they sound like stock. Somebody help a girl out...

Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
gdeese
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you just do slipons you are okay with it as is but change the intake also you will need a fuel management system i run screamin eagle slipons on my 07 bob with no problem

Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
B767
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that you can install the Rush 1.75 or 2.0 without a tune. I had the 2.25's on mine for a while and really like the sound. I also have the PC-V for tuning... If you change the intake AND exhaust you will need some type of tune. The dealer should be able to do a download to your ECM for your changes for about $150. You should not need a full dyno tune. You can get other tuners for $300 or so and up..You should be able to add slip-on's only with no tune required...Good Luck!

BTW nice bike!!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that if you change your air filter to a high flow,(changing your air portion of the 'air to fuel ratio'), that you will need to compensate the fuel portion via a fuel managment system, ie: pcv, super tuner, master tune etc...

However,

If you just want to add the slip ons, then there is not a need to adjust the fuel to air ratio.

This is my understanding.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

The way I understand it is if you just do slip-ons, no. But if you do air intake too, yes. I ran mine with just the slip-ons for about 2 months without a problem. I have since added the air cleaner and SEST.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by gdeese
if you just do slipons you are okay with it as is but change the intake also you will need a fuel management system i run screamin eagle slipons on my 07 bob with no problem
I figured for a couple hundred I could fix the sound issue and that would be the end of it. With 2 new bikes in the garage, I know the hubby will be redoing his exhaust completely and I just wanted a little noise. Now I'm looking at a big drop of cash. Very disapointing.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RACKnRAIL
The way I understand it is if you just do slip-ons, no. But if you do air intake too, yes. I ran mine with just the slip-ons for about 2 months without a problem. I have since added the air cleaner and SEST.
Did your bike pop? Dealer says that if you run slip ons and add nothing else it will cause popping sound. Did that with an 08 sportie and all my "friends" said I sounded like popcorn popper.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Keeg
Tourer

I ran the Rush 2.0s on my 2007 Street Bob with no issues, that is no popping on decel.

Like everyone else said, if you change to high flow air cleaner, you will need
fuel management.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like nobody said - but in my humble opinion - a $20,000 bike needs to have Stage 1 so it doesn't overheat itself to death with that hardwired lean AFR. Go ahead and save $800 if you think it's smart.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 PM
heywood727
Road Master

I had done just the BUB7 Slipon's with out changing the A/C. I did however add the Vied's from Nightrider.

It's true, if you change only the pipes, you won't need to change anything. I did , to a small extent, have a little surging. The Vied's are adjustable. They just fool the ECM into thinking it's running a little lean and richen's it up just enough. Also the Vied's have adjustment from 13.8 to 14.3 AFR. You can play with them a bit to see what works for you. I usually ran them at 14.2:1 AFR. Made the bike run better IMHO.

They're cheap. $120. If all you want is pipes, this would be my suggestion to you. Go with the slipon's first. Then if you feel it surge a little, go with the Vied's. Popping on decel isn't always a condition of being too lean. Sometimes it's an exhaust leak.

Seem's your dealer has $$$ in their eyes. Really.

Quick Reply: Slip ons-do you have to do full stage 1 or not?