Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons-do you have to do full stage 1 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeGrapes
They say the fuel injection will adjust on it's own. Granted, the stock system is set to a lean 14.7 AFR so to get the maximum power you will need to get that down to about 13.5 AFR and to do that you need some kind of fuel management device or reprograming. I've run mine for a year without any popping or noticable heat differance at all. With those two mods the bike will run just as it was designed to run.
You'll have to get a full exhaust system w/o the O2 bungs and a Fuel managment system that eliminates the O2 sensors as they will only read to the lowest limit of 13.8:1.

Your right about power or richness as when you open it up, it jumps to 12.5:1, but for everyday riding, 13.5 might be a liitle too rich.

Up to you on the $$$ you want to spend, but the impression I get from the OP is she just wants to know if the dealer is blowing sunshine up her you know what... and I agree.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread..sorry.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Unbelieveable that someone actually knows where Chatham actually is. Bet you get to ride more than 4 months out of the year now.
Yup. About 8 more than 4 months.

I love the Chatham area. Berkshires, Old Chatham, Catskills, proximity to Vermont. My brother and his wife have a place on Lake Champlain as well. Just too damn cold too much of the year for me.

Florida's warm and sunny, but we put altitude signs on speed bumps to warn people with height issues. If you want to ride twisties you're best off just pulling u-turns in your driveway.

Course the ocean does make up for some of the shortcomings. If you ever get lost just right straight until you hit a beach and turn either right or left depending on whether you live in south or north FL.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Did your bike pop? Dealer says that if you run slip ons and add nothing else it will cause popping sound. Did that with an 08 sportie and all my "friends" said I sounded like popcorn popper.
No popping, just the nice sound of the exhausts pipes. However, no difference in performance, which is why I kicked it up another notch.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want just the slip ons and do either 1.75 or 2.0, you should be able to run without anything else. If you want the bike to run a little cooler and better, you can add the A/C and a tuner. I'd suggest you contact Fuel Moto and talk to them. I think they have packages with the slip on, tuner and A/C for around $600. They also supply a map that I'm told runs great and you can do all of it yourself.

I've not used them, but a bunch of folks on the forum have and everyone swears by them.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Ring
Advanced

I went through the same B.S. with my Harley dealer when I mentioned wanting to add slip-ons. They try to scare you into spending money. Doing the full Stage 1 is ultimately the best way to go but if your on a budget like me I ended up just doing the Vance and Hines Straight Shot slip-ons at first. I took my bike to another Harley dealer which put the bike on the dyno for me for $35.00 bucks. They said the Air/ Fuel Ratio was fine with the slip-ons. I put 2000 miles on the bike before I did the cleaner and tuner and had no probs. Like everybody says there are so many pipes out there it just came down to cost and looks for me but I love the way they sound and blend in with the stock header pipes. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Jeremiah09SG
6th Gear

I have an 09 Street Glide. I through some V&H slip ons on it and its running fine. I have checked my plugs they are right on. There is no popping and it runs like normal.