Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Big?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

i have a 2009 superglide with the mid controls. i couldnt imagine not having them ive gotten so used to them. my first trip from marlyand to michigan was with just the mid controls and a highway bar. thank god for the highway bar. i have the adjustable highway pegs installed on my superglide no more highway bar. for my type of riding i dont think forward controls would work out...

am i the only guy who knee drags on a harley?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser
Default oh yeah

i forgot... im 6 foot 1 and im all about the mids.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

6' 1" 209 lbs. Fits fine.

Though I do suggest adding highway pegs so you can stretch out on long rides. Or you could go with forward controls, but you may find them disconcerting in the twisties - plus, they're more expensive than highway pegs.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Wendell Allen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Robin,

I'm 5'11" and 200, and my '07 Superglide is a perfect fit. It's the biggest bike I've ever ridden, and within 20 minutes of practicing low speed, tight manuvers in a vacated parking lot I was starting to scrape the pegs on the asphault. So my vote falls on the "go for it" side of the fence. I have to echo the highway peg thing though, cuz I've got them and they're a lot more comfortable than the stock pegs. I'm wondering about mids though. I've never been on a bike with them.

All in all though, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the bike.

Cheers!

Last edited by Wendell Allen; 02-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This might be a pointless post, but never make the decision until you have sat on it and stood it up. When i had my bagger, i convinced myself i was going to get a second bike, a sporty, preferably a nightster. Yeah, that was until i sat on it. Im only 6'2" 230lbs and it just felt like a monkey F*****G a football ya know? But then i have a buddy who is bigger than me and he rides the nightster and pulls it off? Well when the wife and i got our new dynas, we were thinking maybe a sporty for her, no. She ruled that out quick. She had never considered the Street Bob, but when she sat on it, it fit her like a glove. I guess what i am trying to say is this, the superglides are sweet. But if you have sat on it, and still have doubts, look around, there are a few other dynas out there that are pretty sweet! You will fit on the the S.G. but will it fit you? Deep huh?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM
davevv
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickeds10
was that trip before you got the highway pegs?
No, the bike had the highway pegs when I bought it, but I have never used them. I started riding in 1961. We never used any kind of forward controls back then and I've ridden with standard peg positions so long that it makes me really uneasy not to have my feet under me when I'm riding. With both highway pegs and forward controls, I always feel like I'm not in the best position to control the bike so I just avoid them. There's a reason you never see a race bike with forward controls on it.

Last edited by davevv; 02-11-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tony P

Though I do suggest adding highway pegs so you can stretch out on long rides. Or you could go with forward controls, but you may find them disconcerting in the twisties - plus, they're more expensive than highway pegs.
i agree! $150 or so vice $400+

Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P

Forward controls and fat mini apes... she corners till she grinds... it's all a matter of getting used to the feel.

Oh, 5'9", 225... the FXD will feel plenty big enough under ya.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I'm 5-10", 175 and am purchasing a 2010 Super Glide Custom. I am keeping the mid controls but adding highway pegs. I was concerned about the mids at first, along with the handlebar set up, but after visiting the dealership a few times and sitting on it it feels much better each time. The reach is about perfect, and I've only had fwd controls before but I see no reason why this won't work for me. I have done 3 test rides (before the snow...) on SGs and liked the mids. Good luck!!