Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fxd handlebars or risers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 04:23 PM
masplumber
|
Cruiser
Default Fxd handlebars or risers?

Got 09 FXD, anybody change out bars or risers and keep speedo in same location? I want to just bring the bars back a couple inches, not up - recommendations?

Old 01-26-2010 | 06:16 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

I went through this recently when changing bars and risers.
If you want to move back but not up I would shop for bars that do that.

If you use pullback risers it puts the speedo straight up. I didn't like it, especially if you have been used to looking at it at an angle for a while.

Old 01-26-2010 | 08:44 PM
masplumber
|
Cruiser

I need suggestions for bars. Seems to be so many choices. Apes, pullbacks, beach bars I guess I need to find a reputable (no bull) outlet, that will help me decide. Have a local shop, Bishops Performance, that has been customer friendly in past. I'll check them for suggestions.

Old 03-01-2010 | 06:00 PM
rr2009sg
3rd Gear

I just had my 2009 FXD done with new handle bars and risers and the the speedo looks likes like crap, it sticks straight up. I'm now looking for suggestions for new mounting bracket.

Old 03-01-2010 | 07:35 PM
coconl
Advanced
Thumbs up 2" riser

Through J&P cycles you can get a 2" riser for $50 I put 4" riser on a superglide and it brought the bars back just fine. My speedometer faces up a little more but not that bad,It's better than looking down at the tank all the time. goodluck

Old 03-01-2010 | 07:52 PM
expy
Road Captain

This setup didnt bring my bars back much but they have a much better feel. I think they are just stock Sporster bars. I have a thread posted somewhere here but have had a hell of a time navigating this site in the last couple of days so I wasnt able to locate it for you.

Last edited by expy; 03-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2010 | 03:48 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Rivco makes risers which will give you the pullback you want without changing the wiring and cables, and the speedo angle does not change.

They are very expensive compared to other risers, but when compared to paying someone to change your bars and cables, they could be a very feasible option.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=286&page=1

Old 03-02-2010 | 05:01 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
Rivco makes risers which will give you the pullback you want without changing the wiring and cables, and the speedo angle does not change.

They are very expensive compared to other risers, but when compared to paying someone to change your bars and cables, they could be a very feasible option.

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=286&page=1
I had those risers... a very good option for extra pullback. They don't look very good though. If this still is correct, the FXDC bars are wider and have more pullback than the stock fxd bars. Ultimately, narrow beach bars will bring the bars back without going taller. They have a big amount of pullback and with the way your bars angle down, height will be about the same.

Last edited by rounder; 03-02-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2010 | 09:28 PM
oldsheepdog
Advanced

Try sitting on a 1200L. Those bars have about 2-3 inches more rise and slightly more pull-back. I'll be putting those on my 05 FXD pretty soon. Saw a set on the Sportster Parts section but the poster never replied to my inquries...

Old 03-02-2010 | 09:46 PM
krjoseph
Road Warrior

Thanks for the pics, Expy. I just got an 09 FXD, love the bike, but hate the bars. Been riding a Buell, so I'm used to wide, low, flat bars. I thought the Sporty bars looked more to my liking, your pics make me pretty sure it will be better than the bullhorn bars.

Quick Reply: Fxd handlebars or risers?