Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Mustang Vintage Solo or Sundowner Solo seat users.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Question for Mustang Vintage Solo or Sundowner Solo seat users.

After deciding on either the Mustang Vintage Solo or the Sundowner Solo I was able to see the Sundowner on the new WideGlide and sit on it. First impression, it doesn't sit an inch lower like I read. I found it to be very wide in the nose and could tell it effected my reach. I have a 30 inch inseam and was still flat footed but not as much as with the stock seat. It did seem pretty cushy just sitting on it for a few minutes. It's not quite the look I'm after but comfort could justify that. The dealer ordered this for me but said not a problem if I would rather order the Mustang Vintage Solo. The only condition is if I order the Mustang I have to take it. I'm wondering if the Mustang nose is possibly a little narrower.I have read excellent reviews on both of these seats with only a couple of negatives on each one. I was hoping maybe someone had actually looked at both these seats and could give me some feedback. I'm thinking to gamble on the Mustang because it would probably be easier to sell if I didn't like it. Any thoughts? Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I can't give you an opinion on the Sundowner. My Mustang is the third seat I've tried and it's a keeper. I bought it from Mustang and at the time they had a return policy. I think it was for 10 days. I paid a little more for it than I could get elsewhere, but it was not much of a gamble for me to have a trial period.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering the same seats as well as the C&C. I can't give you the first-hand input you're looking for on the Dyna but I can say that the Mustang I had on my Shadow 8 years ago did the same thing - wider nose spread my legs and effectively reduced my reach. Wasn't an issue, but was noticeable compared to the stock seat.

Still, the comfort was more than worth it since I did still safely flat-foot.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think the nose is very wide. It didn't seem to affect my reach at all. Just sat me up higher.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Mustang vintage solo and it's kind of wide where your thighs hit it and that makes for a less flat footed reach for some. I'm 5'10" and have no problem flat-footing with either but there is a big difference between my stock and the 'stang seat in how my feet sit on the ground. It's lower with the stock but the Mustang is so damn comfortable.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockabillygrl
I don't think the nose is very wide. It didn't seem to affect my reach at all. Just sat me up higher.
Hey rocka, got any more pics of your ride? I'd love a solo with backrest for my 07 Street Bob but the Vintage doesn't have a backrest option and I'm worried the Wide Vintage may not look right. Would love to see more pics of yours.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 AM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a mustang vintage wide with the back rest, rode from Fla to New Jersey and back about 2 weeks after buying it for my superglide.I gotta tell you its the best thing i have done to my bike.Its well worth the comfort it provides, and it actually looks good on my bike.I have no experience with the sundowner seat so i cannot comment on it.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Does the mustage seat have a noticable contour side to side or is it relatively flat.
I tried a corbin solo and ended up selling it because I couldn,t get used to the way it felt like I was sitting in a bowl.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's a shot of my wide vintage solo front the top:

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a sundowner 2-up seat and to be honest, I hated it. It was big and goofy looking. My g/f loved the passenger seat though. it's W-I-D-E.

I sold it and replaced it with mustang vintage solo #76107 and matching p-pad. I love this seat and my girl loves the p-pad just as much, if not more even though it's narrower than the sundowner.

The mustang also looks 1000% better.

Buy the mustang. You'll like it.

Name:  BikeSoloSeatRear.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  70.6 KB
Name:  0408091901-00.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  91.0 KB

w/p-pad. Not a great angle but the p-pad does stick over the back of the solo and offers some back support.
Name:  DSC03490.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  101.3 KB

Sundowner...yuck!
Name:  DSC02814.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  127.1 KB

Quick Reply: Question for Mustang Vintage Solo or Sundowner Solo seat users.