Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulb Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Bulb Upgrade

Hello, I am wanting to upgrade the bulbs on my 2010 wide glide to brighter ones. I have removed the front turn signals so all I will need are two 1157 bulbs for the rear turn/stop/running lights and a headlight bulb. I do not want to have to install any modules. Just a simple bulb swap would be great. I have pretty much decided on a silverstar bulb for my headlight. I just need some (brighter than stock) 1157 bulbs. I would love to be able to get everything at my local auto parts store if thats possible. Thanks very much for the info.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Buy LED 1157's. They are a direct upgrade. Also, if your tail lights aren't running lights, just blinkers...you can buy the harnes so they are on all the time as well as blinkers. I recently did that and its adds quite a bit of rear end visibility.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Buy LED 1157's
Any recommendations? I was looking through some previous posts and read that the LED's need to be on the front and back of the unit. That way the light hits the reflector.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
justmejohn44
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use leds 1157 they will be alot brighter. The only thing is your blinker will blink faster. You can use any 1157 led bulbs no need for anything special. I got mine at advance auto for $19 but you can find them on ebay for cheaper.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know the part # for the silverstar front headlight bulb? I will just pick it up when I'm at the parts store too.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Does anyone know the part # for the silverstar front headlight bulb? I will just pick it up when I'm at the parts store too.
H4

If you can, grab the Silverstar Ultra. I've been using one for 2 or 3 seasons and really like it.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I like the H4 60/55 110/100 "PIAA Xtreme White" bulbs we have in all of our bikes. Installed in 2007 and are still working. Plug and Play..... but one word of caution on these high intensity bulbs...even Sylvania Silverstones. NEVER HANDLE THEM WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS.... OR YOU'RE LIKELY TO SUFFER PREMATURE FAILURE. The oils on your fingers can cause real problems for halogen type bulbs. Use gloves.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the bulb on my headlight in the Fall, with a PIAA bulb. I was surprised at how little difference it made. I really could not tell the difference while driving down the road. There was a difference in looking at the pictures I took though...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ight-pics.html

Steve

Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Motorhead England
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`m using Osram Night Racer. Good wide beam..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yso191......
You must remember, it's the same wattage bulb you're replacing into the same headlamp. It's the whiteness of the light that you're aiming for. As for your photos, I believe you have the photos reversed with the first photo being a PIAA bulb, not stock. There is NO WAY a STOCK bulb puts out a white light like your first photo supposedly shows. There is no way a stock bulb is brighter than a halogen PIAA bulb. No Way.
If you install a larger headlamp, your beam would be wider and larger.
Again, I would challenge the order of your photos as to which were produced by PIAA halogens and which are stock bulbs. I just cant accept that photo 1 was put out by a stock bulb.

Quick Reply: Bulb Upgrade