Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulb Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justmejohn44
+1 on the HID kit I have it on my bike and two of my cars I love it make sure to get the high low kit though. There are alot of people on the net selling HID kit thats just low beam.
I've ordered an HID kit sometime ago, never installed it though because the high/low bulb itself didn't fit into the stock housing on my street bob. I've since returned it and plan on just going with a low beam (I never used the high beam on my bike before, so I figure with an HID low I wouldn't need it). So in my situation, should I bother with the high? I only ask because you seem pretty adamant on getting a high-beam.

and besides, if I need to flash someone, I just blip the throttle.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
justmejohn44
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hickey
I've ordered an HID kit sometime ago, never installed it though because the high/low bulb itself didn't fit into the stock housing on my street bob. I've since returned it and plan on just going with a low beam (I never used the high beam on my bike before, so I figure with an HID low I wouldn't need it). So in my situation, should I bother with the high? I only ask because you seem pretty adamant on getting a high-beam.

and besides, if I need to flash someone, I just blip the throttle.
It's all on you, you don't have to get it just most people want it. You know what I mean I like having it that way your not blinding everyone all the time but when you get on the back country road or whatever you can hit the brights and see twice as far. I know there are alot of deer and all around here so yeah I like having it. But the low you can get for alot cheaper anyways.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
Steve......I apologize If I offended you by my wording. I have the PIAA bulbs installed on my Low Rider and 2 Heritage Softail Classics. We did a Lighting test as well, but didn't take photos as you did. All I'm saying is that it's physically impossible for a Stock Harley headlamp bulb to produce the bright white light as your photo 1 shows, and for the PIAA to produce the noticeably yellowish cast dimmer light as shown in photo 2.

Again, I apoligize if I've "pushed your buttons"......and never in my posting did I suggest you were dishonest or "incompetent". I still stand by my personal experience having 7 PIAA bulbs installed on 3 bikes that they ABSOLUTELY put out a Brighter and Whiter Light than stock bulbs....regardless of what your photos show. No disrespect intended.
Thank you, no problem. I still have the PIAA bulbs in if that means anything. Also, my particular bulb is described as having a "bluish purple low beam and a Xtreme white High beam." I don't know how much that accounts for the picture results. Also curious how your particular bulb is described with respect to color. It may be that a different selection would produce better results than mine. As you know they make a wide selection of color combinations (about which I am ignorant).

As I mentioned before, even though I was underwhelmed with the noticeable difference, it clearly does allow further vision down the road, as is clear in the pictures if you look at the center lines. So the bottom line is that it is better - just not as much as I was hoping.

I appreciate your response.

Steve

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by justmejohn44
+1 on the HID kit I have it on my bike and two of my cars I love it make sure to get the high low kit though. There are alot of people on the net selling HID kit thats just low beam.
custom dynamics is high/low. they also have 3 versions for the same price, the diferent versions produce different light... white, blue white, blue.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
speedkills
Advanced

been reading this thread and another about aftermarket headlight housing... thinking that the Accessories Unlimited Chrome Cobra II Headlight 5.75 x 9 with the HID Headlight Kit H4 Bulb 4300k. Seems that this should be an easy fit on the 2010 Wide Glide, but I'm still very new to HD modifications... Basically 260 bucks for a new headlight look and much increased light, seems like a good deal to me anyway. Anything special/different about the Wide Glide that might inhibit this combo?

thanks!
Brian

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default BULB Upgrade

Great discussion on Bulbs and HID systems. I for one am very happy with the install of Sylvania Silverstar H4 Ultra Night Vision Bulb in my stock headlight 2700 miles ago. I did read somewhere that there is a model of the Silverstar rated specifically for high vibration like on Scooters. Its been said already but it is so very important to NOT touch the Glass on these bulbs.

Now I'm on the lookout for a good set of Driving lights for the Lindby Multi Bars....due to the Rubber rests on top of bars, the HD MoCo lights don't appear to be able mount on the Multibars....DARN.

GARY

Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkills
been reading this thread and another about aftermarket headlight housing... thinking that the Accessories Unlimited Chrome Cobra II Headlight 5.75 x 9 with the HID Headlight Kit H4 Bulb 4300k. Seems that this should be an easy fit on the 2010 Wide Glide, but I'm still very new to HD modifications... Basically 260 bucks for a new headlight look and much increased light, seems like a good deal to me anyway. Anything special/different about the Wide Glide that might inhibit this combo?

thanks!
Brian
I got that headlight a few years ago and like it. I put a Flash2Pass garage door module inside the bucket and had plenty of room. You should be good to go. On my 05' I had to use a mount that moved the light forward as it's a fairly deep unit. Should look good on a 10'

Old 01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
justmejohn44
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rounder
custom dynamics is high/low. they also have 3 versions for the same price, the diferent versions produce different light... white, blue white, blue.
Yeah there are a lot of places on the net that have them. Ranging from 3000k to 30000K setups with single or high low setup. A lot of different prices I think I spent around $85 on each set of high lows at 8000k that I got (that was like 2 years ago). I ordered 3 sets and had a buddy that bought the extra bulb and ballast that I had. Here is a pic of how the colors look. Pic was too big so here's the link CLICK HERE.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I went looking for the silverstar today at my local parts store. I seems no one carries the H4. I saw plenty of H1, H3 and others but no H4.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM
speedkills
Advanced

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
I got that headlight a few years ago and like it. I put a Flash2Pass garage door module inside the bucket and had plenty of room. You should be good to go. On my 05' I had to use a mount that moved the light forward as it's a fairly deep unit. Should look good on a 10'
just ordered the two items, will post a quick review and pics once they are installed

thanks!

Quick Reply: Bulb Upgrade