Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vertical to horizontal license plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vertical to horizontal license plate

Sup fellow riders. I am looking for a license plate mount that switches from vertical to horizontal, due to the difference in laws between NC and SC. I have looked at top down products mount, and like it.

However, is there a plate that also folds inward, so that the plate would then tuck into the bike and face outward, leaving the back end totally clean? Anyone know of a mount that would do all three, vertical, horizontal, and fold back against the swing arm?

Need I add the bike is a dyna? 2010 Street Bob.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need to meet the laws of the state in which the bike is registered. For example, PA only requires a rear license plate on a car - The People's Republik of NJ requires two - however, even the stormtrooper police of the PRNJ don't give tickets to PA drivers for having only one license plate -etc, etc, etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
exitinyourhead
Cruiser

is there a link to the states where it is legal and where it is not?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Tuffstang
Cruiser
Default bracket

I have one... an 2010 WG bracket. I fabricated a mount and it does all three. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ther-dyna.html

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
ff pie
Advanced

fab kevin makes one, look him up online. quality parts made in the USA.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

topdownproducts.com

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Careful. While FL revoked the ban against vertical plates, it retained the ban against adjustable plates:

"Abate of Florida reports that governor Charlie Crist signed an amended bill restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag for motorcycles and scooters if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers. It seems that the new law already took effect on July 1st."

The original law was prompted by (mostly) crotch rocket riders who modified their plate brackets so that, if they were spotted by an LEO, they could flip the plate up under their tail fender, obscuring identification. That stuff tends to aggravate LEOs, so while they can't ticket you for vertical here in FL any longer, they can nail you for an adjustable.

I know you aren't in FL, but you are subject to FL laws while in the state, should you ever travel here. And your home state may well have similar restrictions.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just don't want to see a fellow rider get hassled.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

taddeo...

the quote you posted says adjusted or flipped up to conceal plate numbers...

...provided any adjustments the OP makes to his plate keeps the numbers visible, don't you think he'd be in the clear?

when he folds the plate flat against the swingarm, i'm assuming the number side of the plate will be facing outwards...

Old 01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

toast, you're right. I looked back and the OP did say that when folded the plate would face out. Sorry I missed that on first read/reply.

Just as an FYI, the law also states (here in FL) that the plate must be visible from both sides. Some strict LEOs apparently interpret this to mean that the plate MUST be mounted in the center of the rear fender. I've heard "I have a friend" stories about guys getting stopped and ticketed but don't know anyone it's happened to.

And a LEO friend says his office doesn't interpret it that way. As long as the plate can be read from behind and can't flip up to conceal, they're good.

Daytona and Leesburg are both fairly tolerant of equipment issues with out of state (and generally in-state) bikes. Daytona is hell on rapping your pipes, riding without eyeprotection, wearing dark tints after dark, hotdogging, and generally making a nuisance of yourself. Otherwise they're pretty laid back during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. Some of the surrounding areas aren't as forgiving.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Tuffstang
Cruiser
Default plate

Mine is like the stock setup on the Iron and Wide Glide, folds in on the left side, with LED's. I just adjusted it to be vertical. Haven't had an issue with the law. The guys at the dealer are always giving me warnings.

Attached Thumbnails vertical to horizontal license plate-photohd-plate.jpg   vertical to horizontal license plate-rearlights.jpg   vertical to horizontal license plate-dsc00086.jpg  

Last edited by Tuffstang; 02-19-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: vertical to horizontal license plate