Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
godjunior
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Solo Seat Question

Hi everyone, love the forum and at looking at one and alls bikes I see that the "SOLO SEAT" looks darn good.

Few questions from nooby.

1. What is the best SOLO seat that I can purchase, comfort, look and installation are a factor

2. Do you have to drill the rear fender when you install the seat or is there an existing bolt hole or something of the sort.

3. Is it easy to reinstall the old seat if wifey wants a ride to the restaurant or daughter wants to be picked up at school

4. Are JELL seats better.

Thanks people, you've been a huge help so far. Let's go for one more.

André

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by godjunior
Hi everyone, love the forum and at looking at one and alls bikes I see that the "SOLO SEAT" looks darn good.

1. What is the best SOLO seat that I can purchase, comfort, look and installation are a factor

2. Do you have to drill the rear fender when you install the seat or is there an existing bolt hole or something of the sort.

3. Is it easy to reinstall the old seat if wifey wants a ride to the restaurant or daughter wants to be picked up at school

4. Are JELL seats better.

Thanks people, you've been a huge help so far. Let's go for one more.

André
I have both the factory Solo HD Seat and a Lepera Silhouette for my SB. The Silhouette is a step up from the Bare Bones with a little more padding but still flowing with the lines of the bike.

Any seat made for you bike is a simple undo the rear screw and lift the seat off for the most part. Insert seat tank 1st under the tab and screw it down at the reat mounting point. If you can operate a Large Phillips Head Screw Driver or better yet a 3/8 inch ratchet with a Large Phillips Head you should be good to go.

As for switching back and forth (Solo or 2 Up seat) you will need to get a seat mount installed in the front position in the fender (the hole is already there)

You may want to buy a Fender Rack or Fender Bib to cover the rear and fill the mount when riding Solo.

I don't know anything about Jell other than when it is cold your A$$ is also gonna be cold.

Just my input.

Karsten

Last edited by Karsten; 01-18-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 PM
torkrollin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by godjunior

André
IMHO the best solo for COMFORT and looks is the Mustang vintage solo. you can also get the vintage wide solo that looks very close.
either will be more comfortable than your stock 2 up seat. no holes to drill.
my sig pic has one on my bike.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the Mustang vintage solo seat is the most comfortable but it does sit you up a little higher because of all the padding. While it doesn't look bad at all I don't think it's the best looking seat.
The best looking solo seat in my opinion is the Lepera Bare Bones. It will sit you lower because of it's thinness but then that also makes it less comfortable.

Here's a pic of my bike with the Mustang Vintage solo seat

And here is my bike again with the Lepera Bare Bones seat

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 01-19-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gell will retain heat (from sun) or cold, so your rear will be hot/cold for awhile after you jump on, otherwise its OK. Some have used the airhawk cushion for more rear end comfort or have two seats, a more comfort one and a more stylish one. Plus a passenger pillon or two up seat. Easy to switch back and forth. Usually the solo and two up seats use different fender mounting holes but otherwise bolt up. So you may need an extra mounting bolt/nut kit. Bolts with larger thumb screw heads are quicker/easier to remove and install than the stock philips head bolt. The fender nuts are easy to lose, so perhaps keep extras on hand. There have been plenty of tips posted.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-19-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:26 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you have an fxdx.... instead of a solo look to get a fastback seat! much better looking on that bike.... mustang fastback, lepera daytona sport, C&C fastback. Best looking seats for a FXDX. I have a solo and pillion setup... with 11" shocks the rear was slammed and the bike looked good solo. Back to 12" shocks and I can't stand the look of a solo with the rear fender stocking up so high. The pillion is always on my bike now.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 AM
manofsteele2003
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I have three of them. The stock street bob seat isn't too bad, I can go about a hundred miles on it and be fairly comfortable.
The Lepera bare bones is mostly for looks but was more comfortable then I was expecting, I can go about 50-75 miles before my back starts aching.
And finally the Mustang wide vintage solo with drivers backrest, I just ordered this one and I can't wait to try it out. It seems to be the most popular on the forums as far as comfort, I hope they are correct.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, if your going to be going back and fourth then get the HD thumb screw. It looks better and has HD in the center and of course it's $25 just for a screw but it's a nice screw.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
rlhdude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through a few seat and wound up with the Mustang Classic Solo. I did not find it sat me up any higher than my stock 07 Street Bob seat. My stock seat was comfortable but I always felt like I was trying to keep my self in the seat. When accelerating I would feel like I was going to slip off the back. When hitting bumps I found I would move sideways. My arms were tired just holding on. After putting on the Mustang Seat I feel planted and now I have noticed a noteable difference in my riding comfort, much more relaxed. I really like it.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"You may want to buy a Fender Rack or Fender Bib to cover the rear and fill the mount when riding Solo."

Any good vendor's for a Fender Bib?

Quick Reply: Solo Seat Question