Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to a Dyna a have a few ?'s Fatbob vs WG

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 AM
dfanucci
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading to a Dyna a have a few ?'s Fatbob vs WG

Howdy all,

It's time to move up from the 883 Sporty to a Dyna, and I'm having a heck of a time in my decision. I've narrowed it down between the Fatbob and WG, but for those who ride each, I have a question or two.

I go 6'1" 250 pounds. I love the forward controls on my Sporty custom, so those are in with either model I upgrade to. The biggest issue I have with the sporty is the ride.

I don't have the worlds best back and the sporty beats the hell out of it. After 50 or so miles my back is jacked all to hell. Are both bikes similar in suspension regarding pot holes, etc?

The other question is regarding 2up. The wife likes to jump on with me every now and again (shes about 125 pounds) and the sporty has not really bothered her as far as comfort. I would take it, that either model will be better in the 2up world?

I'm 50/50 on either bike (although that WG just ooozes old school which I love) so I'm trying to gauge my decision on the questions that I have posted.

I'm looking to buy in about 2 weeks so I'm starting to get real ansy in making a decision.

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only relate to thr Fatbob. I have a 2008 FXDF, and switched from a 1200c sporty. I picked up the 2006 sporty from a young man who could no longer afford it and got into it resonable. I rode it for 34 days and saw a new Fatbob on Craigslist, had somebody interested in the sporty so I sold it and bought the FXDF the same day. So as to the ride- I live on an old concrete rode that is very rough and the difference between the two bikes was incredible. The dyna takes most of the hard jarring out of the road. I am 6-3, 260 and my wife is "about" 145 the bike handles us both well. Two up- you are gonna need a different seat or some numb-butt salve for her. I went wirh a sundowner. Power wise you will have plenty and more is available (speed cost money boys how fast do ya wanna go?). This bike handles real well and the shorter rake helps the nimbleness. The tommygun exhaust take a little to get used to but if you are looking at new bikes its a toss up. A few little add ons- Rush 1.75 slipons, PCv, Heavy breather,led taillight, Distressed leather bags,Barebacks,HD quick windshield,kury switchblade pegs, highway bar. Ride safe.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ride should be about the same. I think the stock seat on the wideglide will better serve for 2up than the short fatbob seat. The fatbob will look cleaner with saddlebags. the fatbob will provide better braking(dual front disc) and better lighting at night. The fatbob will handle better with less rake and the fat front tire will be more comfortable than the mh90-21 on the wideglide.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I've read on this forum was the FB is a little smoother because of the big tires. Also when you get which ever one you get look into mustang or C&C seats with the back rest. They even have some 2up seats with a drivers back rest.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
the fatbob will provide better braking(dual front disc) and better lighting at night. The fatbob will handle better with less rake and the fat front tire will be more comfortable than the mh90-21 on the wideglide.
+1

I took a 10' Fat Bob for a test ride and gave the front brakes a decent test. Wow, it actually stops. My next ride will have dual discs in the front.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
monkey_boy
Advanced

I just got my Fat Bob on Sat. Put about 100 miles on it so far today.

I test rode both as WG and FB and found the 'fit' on both to be good, I'm 6'4" 200lbs. But the handling of the FB blow away the WG, I know many love the WG so this is just my opinion. I live in the city and will spend about 50% of my riding in town, so the shorter rake just felt better to me. Plus the fat tires are nice. And yes the FB does stop well. I feel that the FB is a tad smother but it could be in my head.

I don't really do 2-up riding as my wife has her own bike, so no opinion there but seems like 90% of people change out the seat anyway so .....

Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
transam7969
Road Master

never ridden the FB so my comment it probably worthless but I sure do love my WG

Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to wonder if some of the hanlding feel on the Fat Bob vs. the WG is related to the differences in the bars.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
justmejohn44
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 01 WG and I love it. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and my old lady is 5'11" 135lbs she has not problem riding 2up with me with the stock shocks. The Stock seat is really comfortable for both. I shaved mine and recovered it just because I wanted a new seat and was broke lol. But yeah I have buddy's that have SB and Softtails and they have rode my bike and say it drives like a Cadillac compered to there but thats just 4 of my buddys. Good Luck with the new bike and have fun with witch ever one you choose there both great bikes.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing going for the WG is the raked out neck.
You get sooooo much more with the FB.
The way I see the two is:
If you want a bike for the looks… get a WG.
If you want a bike for the ride… get a FB.

I've rolled 25,800 miles under my Fat Bob since April 2008... never ridden a WG, but I'm certain that... ride-wise... there's no comparison!

Quick Reply: Upgrading to a Dyna a have a few ?'s Fatbob vs WG