Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to a Dyna a have a few ?'s Fatbob vs WG

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dfanucci
Howdy all,

It's time to move up from the 883 Sporty to a Dyna, and I'm having a heck of a time in my decision. I've narrowed it down between the Fatbob and WG, but for those who ride each, I have a question or two.

I go 6'1" 250 pounds. I love the forward controls on my Sporty custom, so those are in with either model I upgrade to. The biggest issue I have with the sporty is the ride.

I don't have the worlds best back and the sporty beats the hell out of it. After 50 or so miles my back is jacked all to hell. Are both bikes similar in suspension regarding pot holes, etc?

The other question is regarding 2up. The wife likes to jump on with me every now and again (shes about 125 pounds) and the sporty has not really bothered her as far as comfort. I would take it, that either model will be better in the 2up world?

I'm 50/50 on either bike (although that WG just ooozes old school which I love) so I'm trying to gauge my decision on the questions that I have posted.

I'm looking to buy in about 2 weeks so I'm starting to get real ansy in making a decision.

Thanks!
Likely very simular ride from both bikes. Either will do two very well, certainly better than the sportster. Your main difference is going to be in the handeling. The Fat Bob has the short front end w/28 degree rake. I found this bike to handle very well and be very nimble for a bike in this class.

The Wide Glide is an awsome looking bike, the front end is raked 34 degrees so it'll be slower handeling which is ok. My FXDL had the same rake, the front end was a bit heavy when I first got it but I got used to it in no time.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC2010
I have ridden the FB, very smooth ride, but I wouldn't trade what I have for one.
Good looking ride Gunny.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
dfanucci
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again all!

Was at Harley at sat on them again in hopes of picking a definate. They both feel damn good. Had the wife sit 2up on both, and she liked the feel of the fatbob a little better, but niether one was uncomfortable to her.

Most of the riding I do is straight line hwy and an occasional mountain run, with virtually no "downtown" riding. It's all backcountry riding.

If I was riding a bike 365 days a year, it would be a no brainer for me. Fatbob without a doubt. But, 4 months out of the year it will sit in the Garage during the snow season, and I really want a cruiser. Something that when the sun is out, the wife and I can cruise on. Something like a custom 57 Chevy convertable, only with it being a motorcycle.

So... I made the decision.

2010 Wide Glide. I drop off the Deposit tonight and will sign this weekend.

:-)

Thanks again!

-D

Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM
monkey_boy
Advanced

Congrats. I know it is tough, I just went through the same decision process....I was between the Fat and Steet Bob....but still it is a relief to have decided.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
2wheels1love
Intermediate
Default Street Bob vs WG vs FB

I too am thinking of upgrading in the spring. I have a nightster, love the looks, don't like the ride. The wife hates the back of it too. I want something that looks similar, but has more comfort. I want something that is good for all day rides with 2up. Anyone have a 2up seat on a street bob, any pics? Anyone have thoughts on how the street bob compares to the wide glide or the Fat Bob?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
justmejohn44
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats man be sure to post pics!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
transam7969
Road Master

Originally Posted by domenicp7
Best of luck with your choice of WG 2010 I saw one the other day and it has grown on me. Very nice bike. You will pay premium because its a new re-model and alot of demand.
I got mine for 17k OTD with pipes, download, and breather. Not sure if that's a "premium" but it was by far the best price I got after shopping around.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dfanucci
Thanks again all!

Was at Harley at sat on them again in hopes of picking a definate. They both feel damn good. Had the wife sit 2up on both, and she liked the feel of the fatbob a little better, but niether one was uncomfortable to her.

Most of the riding I do is straight line hwy and an occasional mountain run, with virtually no "downtown" riding. It's all backcountry riding.

If I was riding a bike 365 days a year, it would be a no brainer for me. Fatbob without a doubt. But, 4 months out of the year it will sit in the Garage during the snow season, and I really want a cruiser. Something that when the sun is out, the wife and I can cruise on. Something like a custom 57 Chevy convertable, only with it being a motorcycle.

So... I made the decision.

2010 Wide Glide. I drop off the Deposit tonight and will sign this weekend.

:-)

Thanks again!

-D
Congrats, but I would never buy new again. Never. Well I say never, but I guess I would if they were priced like 'used' is.

Right now its a buyers market for bikes due to time of year and the economy.
The for sale area here doesn't reflect that fact, but if you start shopping there are some steals out there. Way more bike for way less money. But you have to look and have cash in hand or be ready to jump when you find that special deal.

My cuz found a 2 yr old, beautiful Roadglide, for instance, with removeable shield, bags and tourpack, brand new tires and brakes, verifiable service records with only 15k or so miles for $7500 on Ebay not too far from me. So we cruised down and checked it out, but in the time it took to get there and look it over, someone up in Columbus bought it up.

Deals are out there for sure.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
johnd5412
Cruiser

You won't be disappointed, I've got an 07 WG and it performs as advertised. Congrats and enjoy!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on your new W.G. I think you will be very happy with your decision. She's the prettiest girl at the dance and now she is with you.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to a Dyna a have a few ?'s Fatbob vs WG