Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some clutch help

I just put on some 16" apes, new hand controls, and a new Barnett clutch cable. I followed my Clymer manual to the letter in removing the side plate behind the exhaust, removing that clamp ring, the roller bearings are in their groves, the opening of that clip ring is positioned according to spec, etc, etc...

Then removed that derby cover on the primary side, adjusting the locknut and pushrod according to spec. I then made my inline cable adjustments on the cable making sure I had 1/16" of play. Filled the trans with 22 oz. of fluid.

The clutch lever action "feels" good at a standstill. Smooth tension, no binding, and it seems to be working right.

Here's the problem: Without starting the bike, If I put it in first gear with the clutch pulled, I can't roll the bike. It doesn't feel like the clutch is fully disengaging. I try to adjust it one way it is too "tight" and the lever will not pull in all the way, I adjust the other way, and it feels like there is too much slack in the cable.

I've taken everything bake apart, reinstalled it all again according to the manual and according to a few how-to videos on youtube.

It still can't roll it in gear with the clutch pulled.

Am I missing something here? I'm afraid to start it and try shifting since I don't wanna damage my trans.

Any guidance, experience, or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You aren't going to damage the transmission slapping it in 1st gear. It sounds like you have everything adjusted right so it probably just needs the engine running to make everything fall into place.

good luck.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how tight did you turn the pushrod in before backing it out 1/2-1 turn? possibly you did not get this right.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Originally Posted by rounder
how tight did you turn the pushrod in before backing it out 1/2-1 turn? possibly you did not get this right.
I turned the pushrod in untill I felt it start to grab. Very light tension. Then I backed it out 1/2 turn.

Not sure if this is reliable but someone told me that not being able to roll it in gear is somewhat normal. especially when it's cold and been sitting for a while. They said if I'm confident in my adjustments, I should just start the bitch and go. When it warms up everything will smooth out.

Do you guys believe this is true?

EDIT: sniper I just read your post. Thanks. So you believe it will smooth out when it warms up?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
J-RoX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my bike right off the line has always had some resistance in gear, unless it is running.
i have an 09 street bob.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same after I installed my apes, felt like is was not disengaging, once I started it it felt normal, making sure I had the thumb on the engine off.

Last edited by jss1975snow; 01-18-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Ok. Thanks all. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Sounds like my problem is normal and not really a problem at all.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray
I turned the pushrod in untill I felt it start to grab. Very light tension. Then I backed it out 1/2 turn.

Not sure if this is reliable but someone told me that not being able to roll it in gear is somewhat normal. especially when it's cold and been sitting for a while. They said if I'm confident in my adjustments, I should just start the bitch and go. When it warms up everything will smooth out.

Do you guys believe this is true?

EDIT: sniper I just read your post. Thanks. So you believe it will smooth out when it warms up?
cool... sounds like you did it right.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM
fixxr
Road Captain

Start the bike up in neutral and hold the clutch in for a while to let the oil get around and work it in and out a bit this will help.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray

As several have chimed in since; it does sound like it will be fine when you fire it up. Just make sure you won't run over anything if it doesn't disengage right off.

Quick Reply: Need some clutch help