Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Shekinah5678
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the same problem myself. Spent hours adjusting and readjusting. Even got on the phone with the guys at Axtell who were very kind in walking me through the hole process. They told me the same thing you all have said. But it's nice to hear it from others before I start it up. I've just finished installing my big bore kit and was waiting to start it until I got this clutch problem resolved. Wish me luck!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
goodole11
1st Gear

since I seem to be in the right forum here is a question I've dealt with for two years now. I purchase a used 05 FLHRS with 16,000 miles, since day one with the idle set at factory specs I've alway has a litle grind or clash if you wil getting into first gear. So I lowered the RPM's but in doing so, U lose oil pressure which can be more dangerous.

Well yesterday I discovered the guy that put my easy clutch in picked the bike up wrong and put a fine crack in the inner primary case. Hence losing drops of oil. I just replaced the inner case and decided to take a look at the clutch to see if it was indeed functioning properly. what I found is, when the lever is pulled the clutch releases, but not a 100 %, there is one spot that does not seperate as it should. I see no reason or ryhme for this. It act's as if it's on a hinge and only the ret is opening. I roatate the clutch in varies spot only to find it does not change loction. always the same spot. Any clues?
Thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by goodole11
since I seem to be in the right forum here is a question I've dealt with for two years now. I purchase a used 05 FLHRS with 16,000 miles, since day one with the idle set at factory specs I've alway has a litle grind or clash if you wil getting into first gear. So I lowered the RPM's but in doing so, U lose oil pressure which can be more dangerous.

Well yesterday I discovered the guy that put my easy clutch in picked the bike up wrong and put a fine crack in the inner primary case. Hence losing drops of oil. I just replaced the inner case and decided to take a look at the clutch to see if it was indeed functioning properly. what I found is, when the lever is pulled the clutch releases, but not a 100 %, there is one spot that does not seperate as it should. I see no reason or ryhme for this. It act's as if it's on a hinge and only the ret is opening. I roatate the clutch in varies spot only to find it does not change loction. always the same spot. Any clues?
Thanks
check to be sure everythign is aligned perfectly. with a change in case, the clutch may not be aligning with the compensator perfectly and you might need a shim for it. Only a guess I really have no exact idea if this could even be the cause.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 AM
goodole11
1st Gear

After about four hours of measuring everything last night I found what the problem was. Whoever worked on the bike and I have to say whenever as well as I don't know who and when worked on the bike, I found that the release ring retainer internal truarc ring was NOT installed properly. Looking at it it appeared to be seated properly. However it wasn't. The open part of the ring that has the holes for the truarc pliers was not seated all the way in and flexing the ring when the clutch handle was pulled. Hence causing the clutch to not open properly. All was not lost time wise because I decided to check the clutch plates out while everything was open and after putting the micrometers on them, it was determined that they are right at the bottom end of the specs, so I ordered out a complete pack.

So one problems solution lead up to a possible clutch failer at bike week this year. This I'm happy for.

Thank for your reply though.