Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Titan56
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring bars

I just bought some 12" Burly narrow apes for my 03 Lowrider and going to wire them internally . My buddy has a 04 Super Glide. He put on 10" apes and said the wires were long enough. Are my wires going to be long enough, or am I going to have to extend them? If so what are guys using for wire. Are you buying color coded kits or you buying a spool of plane wire. I have not gotten the bars yet, just want to be ready. Going to take picture of the hole process. I hope they look good.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple suggestions which I hope will help.

When I installed 10" mini-apes on my 06 FXDI, I was able to use the original wiring, but it was a stretch. If I had gone with 12" apes, I don't believe the stock wiring would have made the reach. I did not internally wire this set of bars. I'm not sure the wiring would have been enough, if I had.

I think you will find most who extended their harnesses went with a kit such as what is available from Novello:

http://www.designsbynovello.org/Deta...D=51&category=

These make for a much cleaner job, make wire identification easier in the future, and maintain the integrity of the wiring by reducing or eliminating soldered joints.

Another option would be to buy new switches. These come with plenty of wiring already attached at the switch. The also come with new terminals which you crimp on the other end once you have decided on the length you need. They are available from Harley, but can be found aftermarket for between $50.00 - $100.00.

Lastly, look at buying take-off Street Bob or Wide Glide switches. I later installed 10" mini-apes which were chrome and drilled. I did wire these internally. I used a set of take-off switches from a Street Bob which worked great. They required no soldering or crimping of terminals. Should be plenty of wiring on these, but verify it first.

Good luck,

John

Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can save alot of money and just be carful and use the same color wire just stagger your cuts so it makes it easier to go through the bars your only talking anout 4"s of wire