Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Bag - Homemade solid mount!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006 | 11:06 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Default RE: Fork Bag - Homemade solid mount!

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

Everyone be advised, if not already aware of it:

The aluminum used on the '06 trees are very soft. I had a bag on mine for a few weeks, then removed it for cleaning and noticed it had worn two gouges in the front of the lower tree. There wasn't even any metal to metal contact, just some plastic on the back of the bag that held the straps. The plastic didn't even have sharp edges. I cleaned up the gouges the best I could with Mother's polish, but the bag stayed OFF.
Anyone else getting damage from their fork bags??????

[/quote]

BUMP
So I bought a fork bag today, before I put it on, can you guys with fork bags, lift it up and inspect the triple tree for any damages, blemishes, or scratches

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:37 AM
hd_sob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kaduku
So I bought a fork bag today, before I put it on, can you guys with fork bags, lift it up and inspect the triple tree for any damages, blemishes, or scratches
If I were to do it again (which I am not), I'd try putting some felt or something similar on the back of the bag to cushion it. I didn't mention this earlier, because it was minor, but noticeable: The nylon straps even wore some marks into the top portion of the lower tree where they wrapped around the forks (between the fork and the headlight mount). It cleaned up pretty well with the Mother's. Even so, I will not be putting anything else up there, ever again. If I absolutely ever HAVE to have this type of bag on the bike, for whatever reason, I would put it at the bottom of the down tubes, just below the voltage regulator. Of couse, it would get pretty dirty down there, but doubt it would cause any damage.

Old 07-23-2006 | 12:37 PM
BluRooster
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hd_sob

The nylon straps even wore some marks into the top portion of the lower tree where they wrapped around the forks (between the fork and the headlight mount).
Most people use leather. Nylons pretty abrasive, so that probably didn'y help. Who makes bags with nylon straps??

Old 07-23-2006 | 02:01 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

I decided to return the bag, it was too loose and there would have been alot of movement while riding. The straps were also made of nylon. I could make something like Mascman's bag, but will just get a small leather bag, just for my sunglasses.

Old 07-23-2006 | 02:31 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

small leather bag, just for my sunglasses.
Here's an idead for your shades: Once I saw a guy who had a sunglass case w/velcro closure. He had the lid/flap wrapped around the solid brake line portion (on the right side, next to the fork head) and closed so the velcro held it in place. Was very convenient an inconspicuous. Ever since then I have been looking for a sunglass case w/velco closure and have yet to find one...

Old 07-23-2006 | 03:36 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

I have been looking for something like that for awhile now too! I will get something, just for now, but will continue looking.