Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsprung weight- curious

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Unsprung weight- curious

Anyone know what the actual weight of the OEM swingarm is? I've shaved 15-20 lbs of unsprung weight by switching to Sun aluminum wheels; I plan to take another 6-8 lbs off with metalmatrix composite brake rotors from Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com; and I'm thinking of buying an aluminum swingarm made by Metmachex(English co.) available through AR Harley & Sons. Goal is to reduce total unsprung weight by about 50lbs. When I switched to the aluminum wheel rims, the difference in steering was amazing. It was as if the bike would 'fall into the turns' when I leaned into a turn. Much quicker response, a cool improvement in handling.
So, anyone know what the OEM swingarm weighs? Jay

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
ryd4lyf
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just shipped mine for powdercoating and with the box it was 23lbs.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default Thanks

Thanks, Ryd4lyf. Sounds like around 22 lbs. I thought they were heavier- may have to rethink the $ to weight savings ratio. Jay

Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM
cornishman
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
Anyone know what the actual weight of the OEM swingarm is? I've shaved 15-20 lbs of unsprung weight by switching to Sun aluminum wheels; I plan to take another 6-8 lbs off with metalmatrix composite brake rotors from Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com; and I'm thinking of buying an aluminum swingarm made by Metmachex(English co.) available through AR Harley & Sons. Goal is to reduce total unsprung weight by about 50lbs. When I switched to the aluminum wheel rims, the difference in steering was amazing. It was as if the bike would 'fall into the turns' when I leaned into a turn. Much quicker response, a cool improvement in handling.
So, anyone know what the OEM swingarm weighs? Jay
Thats an interesting "road test" Jay. When my present set of tyres wear out i plan to change rims and spokes. Defiantly stainless spokes and was thinking the same with the rims, with aluminium rims as a possibility. I like the stainless for the ease of cleaning, not sure what the upkeep on the aluminium rims would be like. The handling difference you have noticed with the aluminium rims is gonna steer me ( no pun intended ) in that direction. Anything to improve the handling / steering is a big bonus for me. I suppose the wheels act like flywheels, so the less weight the less inertia. Sounds good to me. I,m not familiar with Sun aluminium rims, what is your opinion, if you don,t mind me asking?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sun, Excel, and Akront are some of the best aluminum rim makers in the world. http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/rims.asp

Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM
cornishman
Road Master

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Sun, Excel, and Akront are some of the best aluminum rim makers in the world. http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/rims.asp
Nice link, the Sun rims sure look the business.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default +1 on Sun rims

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
+1 on Countrypunk's opinion about Sun rims. I bought mine from buchanan in California. Responsive customer service. Great product. I've had them on my bike 2 riding seasons and they are strong, look like new and light weight. Great improvement, IMO. Jay

Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,023 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Risk

Anyone know what the actual weight of the OEM swingarm is?
Just put my spare 2006 on the scale for you Jay.

Actual weight is 20.79 lbs.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Kytann
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do those aluminum spoke rims weigh versus their cost?

Are they close to the weight of the carbon fiber wheels from motorcyclemetal ?

I'v been lusting after those CF wheels, but don't have anywhere near the money.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mud

Just put my spare 2006 on the scale for you Jay.

Actual weight is 20.79 lbs.
That's interesting. I have my original 1990 FLHS swingarm here which weighs in at just 12 1/2 pounds and a 2007 touring which weighs 16 1/2 pounds. I only weighed them on bathroom scales, which don't do decimals! The later one is deeper section tube and much more heavily braced. I have never removed my 03 Dyna swingarm, but it looks like my Glide's, so I would expect it to be similar in weight.

Last edited by grbrown; 01-11-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Unsprung weight- curious