Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsprung weight- curious

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
... thinking ofbs buying an aluminum swingarm made by Metmachex(English co.) available through AR Harley & Sons. Jay
Jay,

These things are expensive! If you have yet to order it from AR Harley (I use them myself) contact Metmachex direct and compare prices, so you get the cheapest deal. They sell direct to US customers!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jay, IMHO the aluminum swingarm is not gonna be worth almost 1k. They look cool, yet are very overpriced. Too bad someone does not make one here in the states anymore.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...I've shaved 15-20 lbs of unsprung weight by switching to Sun aluminum wheels; ... Jay
Jay, do you know what the actual weight of you stock rims and the actual weight of the sun rims? Did you stay with the stock sizes? I was looking into swapping my rims for an aluminum set, but after some research it did not seem that the weight savings would be that significant (3 - 5 lbs). With the added weight of the dual disk and caliper set-up, it seemed to be a wash. If you can verify the actual weight savings, I may have to reconsider.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

I've got the Excell rims on my bike, as well as the Lyndal rotors and an aluminum arm. The bike scales at 607lbs with a half tank of gas and the handling/stopping difference is dramatic...reducing unsprung weight is very expensive, though. Almost as much as some of the custom paint jobs seen here. Depends what you want out of your bike...

And before anyone says buy a crotch rocket; I've ridden BMW and Aprilia in the past year and they are lacking in the torque department compared to my HD. I'm happy with what I've got, but it is a major cash commitment.....

Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sharkey
I'm happy with what I've got, but it is a major cash commitment.....
A Harley gives us plenty of opportunities, just needs deep pockets. My dresser below surprises quite a few. May look old, but....

Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unsprung weight

Originally Posted by sporty79
Jay, do you know what the actual weight of you stock rims and the actual weight of the sun rims? Did you stay with the stock sizes? I was looking into swapping my rims for an aluminum set, but after some research it did not seem that the weight savings would be that significant (3 - 5 lbs). With the added weight of the dual disk and caliper set-up, it seemed to be a wash. If you can verify the actual weight savings, I may have to reconsider.
Joe, I have a call in to Buchanan to get the weight of the aluminum rims, but I haven't heard back from them. You might try yourself to get that from them. OEM weights were: Front rim 8 lbs, Rear Rim 13 lbs, Spokes 5 lbs/wheel. I kept my OEM hubs- the '06 spoked front wheel hub takes a dual brake set-up nicely. Howard Messner at Motorcyclemetal.com did it for me. I can tell you- the change in unsprung weight and handling was anything but a wash- If I couldn't afford the carbon fiber wheels from Howard, I'd go with the Sun rims. Jay

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
jims79flh
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other options do we have for lite wheels? I would perfer not to have Spoked wheels. I dont think that they would hold up to the riding I do (live on a dirt rode with big holes and have been know to run 80mph down it if I get pi**ed or late). I have been thinking of a Sport Bike / Buel front end.

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...freestyle motorcross bikes run spoked wheels. I think you'll be fine.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with CountryPunk on the spoke wheels being strong enough for bad roads and I know that motocross motorcycles are MUCH lighter than Harleys are, but in my owners manual there is a section on checking for CRACKS in the Mag rims by using a cotton ball and the thought is that a crack in the rim will hopefully catch a thread from the cotton ball and then you can inspect the crack closer after it has been revealed. I go to motorcycle races as often as I can and I have seen, first hand, a mag rim or two collapse in the middle of an AMA flat track race of 750cc Harley Sportsters. Not a pretty sight I’ll tell ya. Stainless Steal spokes are almost as maintenance free as you can get IMHO.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe, I have a call in to Buchanan to get the weight of the aluminum rims, but I haven't heard back from them. You might try yourself to get that from them. OEM weights were: Front rim 8 lbs, Rear Rim 13 lbs, Spokes 5 lbs/wheel. I kept my OEM hubs- the '06 spoked front wheel hub takes a dual brake set-up nicely. Howard Messner at Motorcyclemetal.com did it for me. I can tell you- the change in unsprung weight and handling was anything but a wash- If I couldn't afford the carbon fiber wheels from Howard, I'd go with the Sun rims. Jay
Thanks, Jay.

Quick Reply: Unsprung weight- curious