Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creative luggage ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010 | 07:34 AM
Taddeoeg
|
Road Warrior
Default Creative luggage ideas?

Most of my long trips will be on the FLHTC but I would like to run the Street Bob up to N Ga and NC to ride some twisties. Plan is to keep the SB solo seat with a Motherwell 7" luggage rack - the one that curves to match the fender. I'll also run a HD quick disconnect shield for the trip up and back (~425 miles each way). Not interested in saddle bags - wouldn't mind the HD QD ones but $900 is a bit steep for something I'd use once or twice a year.

So anyone have any ideas on luggage to pack enough stuff for, say, 5 days? T bags are great but require a backrest. They do have one round bag designed to mount on the forks or bars but you can't run a shield with that.

Old 01-10-2010 | 07:46 AM
BrentsterS
Tourer

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ge-rack-3.html

Take a look at the Kury Grantour mounted on the motherwell rack in this post. I also have a Kury custom roll bag that you can mount on the front of the bike at the headlight. Good quality and should be enough for 5 days with both bags. Probably $250 for both bags on Amazon or any of the cycle sites.

Old 01-10-2010 | 07:54 AM
Taddeoeg
|
Road Warrior

Thanks Brentster. I'm a little concerned about the stress that could put on the turn signal arm - those things really aren't all that strong. But with a little playing I might come up with an alternate method of strapping.

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:08 AM
CraigsStreetbob
Cruiser

If you like the HD QD why not look into the Leather Pros bags at about half the price ?

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:18 AM
Taddeoeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CraigsStreetbob
If you like the HD QD why not look into the Leather Pros bags at about half the price ?
Is there a site that discounts them? On the Leather Pros site Dyna bags run from $699 - 765 and require a $50 HD part kit to mount on newer SBs.

Even at $450, however, its too much to spend on bags I'd likely use twice a year.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:19 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

If it were me and i was going solo on my dyna with a solo seat and just the luggage rack i wouldn't spend much money especially if i had an ultra. Id go to walmart buy a nice sized black duffle bag and go to the bike shop get a $6 cargo net and strap it to the luggage rack. Before i got my tbag and my hd luggage bag for my sissy bar luggage rack both for $25 bucks on craigslist all i used was a black duffle bag from wally world with a cargo net.

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:28 AM
Taddeoeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
If it were me and i was going solo on my dyna with a solo seat and just the luggage rack i wouldn't spend much money especially if i had an ultra. Id go to walmart buy a nice sized black duffle bag and go to the bike shop get a $6 cargo net and strap it to the luggage rack. Before i got my tbag and my hd luggage bag for my sissy bar luggage rack both for $25 bucks on craigslist all i used was a black duffle bag from wally world with a cargo net.
Damn good idea, Skully! That's the kind of thinking I'm looking for. Cargo nets NEVER even crossed my mind - not something you're likely to need with an ElectraGlide (btw, mines a Classic, not an Ultra) unless you were loading up to move to the city like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:34 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

If you are making a base camp for more than a day, you could UPS a small box/bag with vitals in it to the campground. Bring a pre-paid shipping label with you and sent it home the same way.
My Dad, brother, and I do this when we go to trade shows - Beats carrying luggage.
Just a thought...

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:45 AM
Taddeoeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
If you are making a base camp for more than a day, you could UPS a small box/bag with vitals in it to the campground. Bring a pre-paid shipping label with you and sent it home the same way.
My Dad, brother, and I do this when we go to trade shows - Beats carrying luggage. Just a thought....
We've done that a couple times in reverse. Took the Glide down to Key West a year ago for a week. S/O did a "little" shopping so we packed stuff up and took it to the UPS store to send home.

Nothing quite like unpacking a box of dirty laundry a few days after returning home.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010 | 09:47 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Yeah.... sticker shock on new bags..... so.... build your own..

Quick Reply: Creative luggage ideas?