Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a custom paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nightking
i don't remember her saying she was buying a sportster. And if she is why not paint it the way she wants. Don't get that comment
I thought she was talking about her Sportster , i guess her new bike will be a big twin ..

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 01-08-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted mine painted last year partly because the water based, factory applied lacquer is soft and scratches easily but also because I wanted it to look different.

I looked at lots of custom paint web sites for some ideas and decided that I wanted some simple blue ghost flames applied over the existing paint. I then found a local painter who did the job for about 1/5 of the cost of a Harley factory 'custom' paint scheme. I like the result because it's simple and effective which is what I wanted.

Custom paint is a bit like a tattoo. Not everybody will like it, so choose what pleases you.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure she is going to buy a sportster either, didn't get that from her thread, but even if she is, it's her bike, she can do what ever she wants and if a paint job is what she wants, it isn't a waste of anyone's money. Why would anyone not try to make a bike their own just because it was a sportster????

there are a lot of custom paint professionals around that will easily paint tins, but if she is trying to get it as part of the purchase and is not interested in the work it takes to remove the tins to send to a professional painter then she may be limited to the dealership. Again since she did indicate that she is interested in trying to get it included in the loan it again limits what/where she can get the work done and it may be limited to the dealership.
If all of this is correct then my recommendation would be to talk to the service/parts department and see what they can suggest see what they have to offer and if the cost is what you are willing to pay and/or if it can be included in the cost of the bike (included in the loan amount) then go for it. Don't worry about anyone else trying to p!$$ on your parade it is your bike you have every right to make it yours any way you see fit and to spend any amount of money you deem feasible.

Enjoy your new bike.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are willing to ship parts, Here is a great painter on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REALI...item255813e493

Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
HDPhD
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
I'm not sure if your referring to your Sportster about a paint job if you are your going to want a big twin sooner or later like most Sportster owners do so don't put any money into the bike if you don't have to , save it for the big twin , been there done that ! What are you buying ?
The paint job is for my new bike, which will be a Low Rider.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
HDPhD
Tourer
Default wow....

Originally Posted by HDDyna2006
If you are willing to ship parts, Here is a great painter on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REALI...item255813e493
I have a damn clue how to take them off, but someone will, right??? That's GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out www.attitudecustompaint.com. The guy does outstanding work. He is a little flexible on pricing if you ask. He does tin swaps if you are interested in that. He has a great website with tons of jobs on there. The pictures on the site doesn't do his work any justice. Several members on this forum has had their bikes painted by him, including myself. They will all tell you how satisfied they are. I won't take my bikes anywhere else. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Smile Low rider

Originally Posted by HDPhD
The paint job is for my new bike, which will be a Low Rider.

Your Harley dealer has a custom paint program , been there done that .. ask to see the paint book ..

Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Poisond 08 Fatbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have can send your parts out this place looks like they do some nice work. I think a few people here have already used them and had only good things to say. Look around the site and some of the blues and flames. I want the blue with flames as well but don't have the dough just yet. Maybe someone else will chime in on these guys. Good luck and keep us posted.
Tim
http://www.attitudecustompainting.com/

Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Where are you in Indiana? Close to the Chicago area. I know a few custom painters around here.

Quick Reply: Getting a custom paint job