Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There a Performance Difference Between these...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Is There a Performance Difference Between these...?

Is There a Performance Difference Between these two air cleaner mods?

Making your own such as this great example.

Or Buying something like this.

Is the backplate different in the Doherty vs the OEM one? If so, for someone such as myself who's NOT looking to make a hotrod out of my bike, is it really worth the extra $$$? I believe I read somewhere that just replacing the OEM air filter with a K&N will allow more than enough air to supply and after market exhaust..?

Thanks
R

Last edited by reesestewww; 01-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2-4 hp increase with the doherty backing plate over a SE/Ness one. The one pictured above is a ness heavy breather with a mud A/C mod. The Doherty backing plate with the velocity stack has a better, smoother, more controlled flow of air giving it the edge throughout the RPM range. It is worth the extra $$ unless you already have an SE/ness air cleaner. If you have a stage 1 A/C then I would not buy a whole new setup for a couple of HP. Also it has choices of breather assembly that are much better than the dump into your carb/throttle body SE way. Doherty is a sponsor of HD forums and had a good sale on these last time I was at their site.
So If you have not yet converted to stage 1.... get the doherty instead of a ness or se. If you already have a stage 1 system, don't spend the money. If one has an SE or ness system, you can look to getting a Boyesen x-wing to improve air flow and give a similar improvement as the doherty to your SE/Ness A/C for less money than the doherty.

Last edited by rounder; 01-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
2-4 hp increase with the doherty backing plate over a SE/Ness one. The one pictured above is a ness heavy breather with a mud A/C mod. The Doherty backing plate with the velocity stack has a better, smoother, more controlled flow of air giving it the edge throughout the RPM range. It is worth the extra $$ unless you already have an SE/ness air cleaner. If you have a stage 1 A/C then I would not buy a whole new setup for a couple of HP. Also it has choices of breather assembly that are much better than the dump into your carb/throttle body SE way. Doherty is a sponsor of HD forums and had a good sale on these last time I was at their site.
So If you have not yet converted to stage 1.... get the doherty instead of a ness or se. If you already have a stage 1 system, don't spend the money. If one has an SE or ness system, you can look to getting a Boyesen x-wing to improve air flow and give a similar improvement as the doherty to your SE/Ness A/C for less money than the doherty.
Right on, thank rounder! I guess If I'm going to do it, I should just do it right. It seems that with a Doherty A/C there is no questioning the decision made.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.dohertymachine.com/index.php?cPath=2_27 get the one on the top right with the power vents IMHO. Or the S&S one, then get the nice S&S cover!

Last edited by rounder; 01-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...those are expensive !