Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Winter Project...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
lowridermike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roofer
is your shop insulated
I insulated the walls but the ceiling is not. Supposed to be 40 next week, I'll shoot it then. Got the primer down and will wet sand tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM
lowridermike
Cruiser

Got the Color shot today...looks like ALOT of wet sanding in my near future. Got runs in it like crazy. Plus orqange peel. First times SUCK! 3 coats. Should be able to get them all out...I hope.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to add to that list, but your bike is screaming for a chrome swingarm!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:48 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job, I wish i have a shop like yours.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 AM
lowridermike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hickey
I hate to add to that list, but your bike is screaming for a chrome swingarm!
LOL. I'm up to my a$$ in aligators already. No way I'm goin there this year.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

can you explain how exactly you shaved the rear fender? i would like to do this mod...

Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 AM
lowridermike
Cruiser
Talking

Originally Posted by 07bobber
can you explain how exactly you shaved the rear fender? i would like to do this mod...
I took off the tail light and cut out the recessed part of the fender. Ground down to the bare metal about 2-3 inches around the hole(inside and outside the fender).Hand bent a peice of 20 ga steel to form to the shape of the fender (as best I could ,had some hammer help). Cut the peice the same shape as the hole. Sanded the edges to get it to fit into the hole as tight as I could. Mig weld it in. (Tack it in four or five places then hammer and dolly to smooth as best as you can.) When happy with that, I finish weldedTake your time when welding it in. Heat will warp the metal. Ground it down with a 4" grinder and sanded with a 4" flap wheel(80 grit). You have to make sure there are no high spots in the base metal or weld. (low spots will be filled with body filler) When I was satisfied with the metal finishing, I started laying filler in it. Layed in the filler, rough sanded with 60 and 100. If there were odvious flaws(low spots or waves, or places were the profile needed more change to match the profile of the fender) I either laid more or took some off. Finally I reached a point to be comfortable about the contour and the smoothness by hand. I then laid one more thin coat of filler on it. Block sanded the whole area with 320 dry. Sprayed a light coat of black primer on the work area. Wet sanded with 400. If there are areas were the black stays, they will need built up a little. High areas just need sanded until the black is gone. It will come down to what will you accept. This process took me about 2 weeks (off and on). I would lay filler and the next evening sand/ relay filler. I am not a pro at any of this Except the welding/fab, so someone else may have a better way. This worked for me. It will eventually come down to patience. Be patient and BE **** about the finish and you'll be fine. After all, alot of places sell new fenders.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

great write up thanx

Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
lowridermike
Cruiser
Default paint layed...red pinstriping to come.

Got the paint/clear done . 5 coats of clear. Need some advice on what pimstriping paint to use over the clear and how to thin or what hardener. Any input I will be thankful.

Attached Thumbnails My Winter Project...-gedc0102.jpg   My Winter Project...-gedc0101.jpg   My Winter Project...-gedc0103.jpg  
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice paint job brother! you have some sick talent. i look forward to seeing the finished project.

Quick Reply: My Winter Project...