Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 sensors trashed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 AM
serpent
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sensors trashed!!!!

Well finally got my Samson street sweepers for my bob in after like waiting 3 weeks or so. And during the install process the o2 sensors where almost impossible to remove!!! After a lot of muscling around with them the started to come out. Once I removed them the threads were almost completely gone!!! Does anyone know if they were cross threaded when installed or did I just do something wrong and mess them up? Looks like Ill be needing a new pair, does anyone have the price and part # for these?

Thanks in advance for all ideas!!!!

Serp

Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 AM
irlm1
Cruiser
Default RE: 02 sensors trashed!!!!

they must likely had a very strong thread lock on the threads. I can see some on mine at least around the joint.
....are you sure this isnt what is making the threads look as if they dont exist...??..

Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Easier to get them out when they are hot.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came out easily. I guess I got lucky. I've read where HD charges $85 each for the sensors, but the local auto zone has basically the same sensor for $30. I don't know what thread it was in, but someone else had the same problem and just bought the cheap sensors. Said everything worked fine. Might want to look into that. Also, use some good high-temp anti-sieze on the threads when you reinstall your sensors.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the one that had the problem removing the sensors. I bought 2 from an auto parts store (Bosch) and cut the connectors off each and rewired them on to the new sensors.
If I remember correctly the black wire from the auto sensor got wired to the blue wire of the HD sensor then the gray wire got connected to the gray/black wire of the HD sensor.
Might want to verify that first. Bring the HD sensors with you, the new ones bodies were a little longer than the HD ones but the thread size and tip length were the same.
Since I had already ordered the sensors from HD I ended up waiting for and installed the HD ones. But I did start the bike with the auto sensors and it ran fine.
When I called looking for the HD sensors only one dealer said they were having the same problem when trying to get the sensors out to reuse them.
I just looked in the garage for the empty sensor boxes but I guess I tossed them.

Sensors were about $20 each.

I believe the part # is Bosch 12028

Old 07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They must have went light on the anti sieze compound on those threads. Unless you use a 'liberal' amount on there, they get extremely difficult to remove. Found that out the hard way first time around.....just didn't use enough of it.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 AM
serpent
6th Gear

Looked at them again this morning, there bad. Ill give those new sensors a try tonight. Ill go the cheap way first! Thanks all for the help.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I received HD's sensors they had very little anti-seize compound on them. Don't get anything on the tip, no oil, anti-seize, nothing.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Thundr56
Novice

I just had the exact same problem on my '07 Ultra. Could barely turn them so I rocked 'em back and forth like loosening tough locktite. Eventually they came out but the rear threads were gone and the fronts were damaged but usable. I was able to put a new sensor in the front but need to fix the rear.What did you use tofix your bung threads? I've heard that a Ford plug thread repair chaser works but if they're too bad will either need new bung or helicoil.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Sabaka454
Cruiser

carefully hit them with some heat next time. Just run a thread chaser through it b4 you put in new O2 sensors

Quick Reply: 02 sensors trashed!!!!