Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new FXDF and wanting to travel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
He doesn't have a backrest!! The way he's set up is with the mustang vintage, but 10 inch apes with 4 inch risers. It propped his posture to sit up more and he hasn't had any problems since.

What I was saying about the seat with the back rest is what some have done.

Here check these seats out!

http://www.ccseats.com/

Sorryyyyyy!!!!!! I didn't read your post correctly.

Well it's one extra good reason for me to have apes hanger on my bike

Old 01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
I've got it setup so that I'm sitting pretty much straight up. The 10.5" HD fat mini apes on top of the 4" fat risers are tilted forward just past the rake of the forks. This puts my hands about 1-1.5" below my shoulders. The Mustang Wide Vintage Solo, has a pretty decent "pocket" to put the butt in, and just tall enough in the back to provide a fair amount of back support.

The forward controls are set to allow almost full extension of my leg... knee bent just a little. I also installed Kuryakyn SwingWing pegs, and they are great for finding many different positions to put my leg/foot in. From a mini-floorboard out to a fully extended leg on cruise pegs.

It puts me in a upright position, no slouching involved and a leg-up, back-neutral posture.

Mustang does make a removal backrest for some models of the Wide/Vintage Solo.... mine does not have it. As I get older, I may purchase one... but so far, this works fine.

I also use a HD Sundowner for touring when I have a rider, or when I think I'll have a rider... ... but, it sits me about the same point/angle as the Mustang.

Here she is loaded for cruising distances.....

That is very helpful thanks! I am only 26 and have a bad lower back I was worried that riding a lot would just kill me

Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wood butcher
I purchased my Fat Bob for around town fun type riding only to be pleasently surprised at the all day comfort even the stock setup provides. To me the stock seat is surpisingly comfortable. The HD quick release windshield changed the ride completely for me and made it much more pleasurable even if it does wreck the look of the bike some. That being said, if you are planning an excursion over days or weeks you can't beat the Ultra. I like my Fat Bob alot. If I didn't have the Ultra I would consider renting one for the trip and keeping the Fat Bob. Renting an Ultra is not cheap but is more cost efficient than getting rid of your Fat Bob for a touring bike. My guess is you might regret that decision.
Not really cost efficient for renting!! You figure a week rental is around a grand then you gotta return it. You spend a grand on making a Fatbob a touring bike you get to keep the stuff on till you sell the bike. My detachable tour pack I put together only cost $300 and for bags if I ever need them can be another couple hundred on up. Then I got enough storage as an EG. Windshield and a comfy seat will run you up some more, but you figure that is two trips of renting an EG and you'll be able to do more trips without forking money out for touring other then lodging, food and gas with a set up Bob and still does not reach anywhere near the price of a EG. Some of us just aren't as big of ballers to have both at the same time. I'll get my Street glide after this bike is paid and after we get a boat!!

Last edited by JaronB; 01-03-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want more wind protection put on a single headlight and check out the aftermarket shields.
I don't like ridin' the Harley tourers so so I'm making my own out of an "07 Street Bob.

Attached Thumbnails new FXDF and wanting to travel?-100_0804.jpg  
Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I put 5000 mile's on my Fatbob this past summer. The Fatbob is a champ when it come's to touring. If you set it up properly it can be very comfy.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
bklanecky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '09 Fat Bob with one of the HD quick-detach shields, and my seat is a Mustang 16.5" Wide Vintage Solo w/ Driver Backrest. I have ridden between 300 and 400 miles a day on multiple occasions, and have no problem whatsoever. I'm very confident in doing long drives with the bike, and if I had more time would feel just fine touring the country. The backrest makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
bklanecky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fwms
My bad, I meant Fat Bob. As far as “my age” I’ll be 67 soon, very soon. Immediate travel plans are day trips to the beach (as soon as weather permits), group rides with the local HOGs, and if those work out I’ll go for the weekend and longer rides. Visit family, frends.

Thank you for your input.
Get this: http://mustangseats.com/cart/index.p...roducts_id=402

You can thank me later.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
fwms
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your responses. Sorry for the delay in responding, been busy with necessaries.

As I love my Fat Bob I feel I will probably keep it, it’s a fun ride.

I've been searching here and elsewhere for Tbags, saddlebags, etc. and have pretty much decided that when tour time comes I’ll probably go for the bikers friend bag. Has a back support and sure beats HD’s or Corbin’s price for a new seat that allows me to add a support. Also looking at Kuryakyn or Nelson Riggs saddlebags.

As a side note, my first few rides on the Fat Bob ended with saddle sores. But as time does, I’ve developed an Iron a$$. Or maybe the seat and I have grown use to each other.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Originally Posted by JaronB
Not really cost efficient for renting!! You figure a week rental is around a grand then you gotta return it. You spend a grand on making a Fatbob a touring bike you get to keep the stuff on till you sell the bike. My detachable tour pack I put together only cost $300 and for bags if I ever need them can be another couple hundred on up. Then I got enough storage as an EG. Windshield and a comfy seat will run you up some more, but you figure that is two trips of renting an EG and you'll be able to do more trips without forking money out for touring other then lodging, food and gas with a set up Bob and still does not reach anywhere near the price of a EG. Some of us just aren't as big of ballers to have both at the same time. I'll get my Street glide after this bike is paid and after we get a boat!!
Not sure what you mean by "Some of us just aren't as big of ballers to have both at the same time." Nothing wrong with having two bikes. A one time rental will give you the opportunity to see if you would rather have a touring bike over the Fat Bob. A weekend away is enough time to tell. By the same token, you could sink a ton of dough into all of the accessories for the Fat Bob and find out it may not suit you still. I guarantee your s/o would love the ride of the EG over the Fat Bob. I know this first hand. Nothing worse than having someone whose riding with you whining and chirping in you ear about how her butt hurts. If you're riding by yourself this doesn't matter.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fwms
I purchased a 2009 Fat Boy and love the ride. But afterwards I felt the need to travel and take in some of what the good old USA has to offer. The question is should I trade the Fat Boy for some touring type bike or provide the extras to make it suitable for the long haul? I did purchase a HD windshield but am very disappointed with its performance. With the windshield attached I experience a lot of wind turbulence around my helmet when riding at speeds of 45 to 70 MPH. I’m fearful the rest of HD products will result in the same performance. Any advice? Also, at my age, I feel I need a back rest, but HD is very proud of their seats.
Same dilemma as you...I wouldn't give up my Fat Bob so......I bought an Ultra Classic. Now I have the best of both worlds. Did the windshield thing....wondered about a different seat...all the same as you. Problem solved by getting a touring bike. Fat Bob around town and small trips, Ultra Classic for highway riding and long hauls. If you have the means.. I recommend getting 2 bikes.

Christian
Cleveland, Wisconsin

Quick Reply: new FXDF and wanting to travel?