Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting my Ohlins shocks dialed in just right

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010 | 11:07 PM
BoomerBob
|
Elite HDF Member
Arrow getting my Ohlins shocks dialed in just right

Hi all! Just wanted to let you know i'm having a very slight issue getting my Ohlins shocks dialed in just right and Howard is to doing a fantastic job of service after the sale getting it right for me. I can't say enough about Howards good attitude towards me and getting the shocks dialed in just right for my bike. I get the feeling he would do this for anyone so I'm not special in that regard.

I'll let you know how it comes out after Howard and Ohlin put their minds to work on this issue. I can already tell you I will be a happy camper because Howard would not accept anything less and that's why he's the man to deal with for Harley Ohlins shocks.

Do yourself a favor and look up other shops who do Ohlins shocks for Harleys.

Yep. Hardly any and the reason that is because no one cares about HD shocks like Howard.

Do yourself and your bike a favor; put your bike on a rail to ride like it never has before by using Ohlins shocks.

Ricor Shocks are proving out to be good as well and their front end Intiminators are looking very promising too.

Last edited by BoomerBob; 01-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 | 07:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Bob,

My Ohlins from Howard are due to be delivered Monday, so I will be following in your footsteps before too long (for my Glide). I look forward to hearing how you get on with them when they are just right.

Old 01-02-2010 | 10:25 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

I have the Ohlin shocks on the rear of my FXD (fully adjustable 36PRCLB). I went to 13.2" in length, both to get susoension travel and to reduce the trail. Unbeleivable difference.....I agree you will be happy.

I have the Ricor Intiminators on the front. I added them before the Ohlins, and liked the result. However, after adding the Ohlins, I am disatified with the front. The Ohlins are so good, it is very apparant the front end wont "keep up". I have had two of my friends, who have signifiacnt experience ride the bike (without comment from me), and both volunteered that, to them, the front end need more.

As soon as I can same up a few $$, I am hoping to get Ohlin forks.

Ask Howard what he thinks.

Last edited by gregbenner; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: email notification
Old 01-02-2010 | 10:35 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Ok all you shock guys. What would be the best shock for me for the best price. I like to run the twisties on my 07 FXDC iam 6ft 1 220lbs and my wife also rides with me now and then and she is also 220 what can i do to get the best solo ride and two up ride on my bike in the front end and rear end. note i am not to keen on the look of the olins on a harley.

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
Ok all you shock guys. What would be the best shock for me for the best price. I like to run the twisties on my 07 FXDC iam 6ft 1 220lbs and my wife also rides with me now and then and she is also 220 what can i do to get the best solo ride and two up ride on my bike in the front end and rear end. note i am not to keen on the look of the olins on a harley.
This thread is about Ohlins! Read his website, then give Howard a call at Motorcycle Metal, tell him you are a member here and buy a pair of his Ohlins. Nothing less will do.

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:24 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

You will get a lot of opinions here.....

I think its important to decide what is most important, money or results. You won't get both. Again, just my opinion. I have tried nearly every brand on one of my bikes and unfortunatley real quality is expensive.

In my view, you must raise the rear (i.e. 13" or so shocks). This improves ground clearance (which will always be a factor), give greater suspension travel (critical) and reduce trail (easier to turn). Some don't like the look, which again brings up the issue of what is important to you.

I love the look of Ohlins, but come from a non Harley background. There is a thread re: Ricor's new shocks, but I have no experience with their shocks, only the front fork components (which to me weren't world class).

I think Progressive shocks aren't worth buying, Works are better, and YSS better still, but none as good as Ohlins (or as expensive).

If you do such searches on this froum (Dyna section) you will find several threads on this subject).

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:30 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer

OhioSkully, I have Ohlins 36PRCLB shocks on my '06 Street Bob and have similar riding metrics- solo weight about 195 w/ boots/jckt/helmet; wife is 200 or so riding weight; I do 80-85% solo riding, long trips w/ wife. The shocks are fully adjustable; they cost $1450 from MotorcycleMetal.com, and they're worth every penny, because they let me adjust to the ride. When I'm solo without windscreen or sissybar I can dial in a ride for more aggressive riding. When I have a passenger I can dial in a softer ride and increase the preload. Though it may sound like a lot of money, it's the second best improvement I've made to the bike- after dual front brakes. On second thought, I can't choose between the two upgrades. they're both amazing. Good luck. Check out the Ohlins. Jay

Old 01-02-2010 | 11:59 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

http://76.162.149.2/gpage31.html Try shock #1 for your chrome needs. I have the #2 shocks in 305mm(12")length. The Ohlins are the greatest purchase I have made for my bike. They will really make you understand how horrible your current suspension is. On dialing in the shocks, a little goes a long way. I remember getting my sag about right, then a 1/4 turn or so on the preload would dial em in to the point of unbelievable. You just won't feel the bumps anymore, and the bike will feel like the rear tire is pressing into the road around corners. Also, it sucks, but, Ohlin has nothing for our front ends. Howard is developing a front system now, he has been using racetech emulators and custom springs(or racetech springs) for the front end. Also while greg feels you "must" raise the rear, I disagree, I can understand maybe for better lean angle, however the 12" shocks are awesome and really provide a sublime ride and handling. Howard developed (with Ohlin)a 11 5/8" shock in the #2 that will lower the ride and provides more actual travel than my 12" ones. I wish he did that before I got mine. Although, I got to admit, going lower than what I have would be very bad for me cause I scrape my fatcat tail pipe as it is. Don't be afraid of running a stock length Ohlin, you will be blown away by the ride.

Gotta say, I do find it interesting that a few have said the ricor emulators are not all that impressive.

Last edited by rounder; 01-02-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 | 01:39 PM
BoomerBob
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
Gotta say, I do find it interesting that a few have said the ricor emulators are not all that impressive.
I was thinking the same thing. Up till now all I've heard are positive comments.

Old 01-02-2010 | 01:58 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I was thinking the same thing. Up till now all I've heard are positive comments.
mostly cause they don't have anything other than stock or progressive(yuck)to compare it to I would guess.

Quick Reply: getting my Ohlins shocks dialed in just right