Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 PM
eadlbis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pack

Hi My name is John and I am from the UK. I have a 2008 street bob when I bought it I had a set of v&h big radius fitted fuel pack and stage 1. for a while now it has not been running smoothly!! now it has started to cut out when stopping at T/lights or just pulling over. it will just cut out! I was told at the harley shop that it was most prob the fuel pack and that a while after mine was fitted they stopped fitting them due to the amount trouble they were giving. They say that v&h say there is no problem with there fule pack! However after disconecting my fuel pack my bike runs fantastic. Because the fuel pack is classed as a piggy back system harley have now come up with a small black box that you can purchase over in the UK for around £400 that replaces the fuel pack and is not a piggy back system like the fuel pack was. I just wondered if any one has had problems with v&h fuel packs in the US.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an 08 street bob as well, fuelpak and vh short shots. Havent had any issues at all.

Have you tried contacting VH?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 PM
greenvarmit
Intermediate

I have an 09 Bob with V&H Big Radius with NO fuel pack. When I bought the bike the HD dealer told me until I change the air filter that the fuel pack is not necessary. Buddy of mine has a Night Train with the same exhaust, stage I kit and fuel pack, we took off at a light together, I passed him and he never caught up enough to pass me back. So what I'm getting at here is, i don't believe the fuel pack is really necessary, but again, I am running completely stock except the V&H exhaust...NO Fuel pack and NO change in Air Filter.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
TimBob2010
Cruiser

Well the softtails are a little slower then our dynas, do to the balanced engine they loose a little torque from the factory, and I think they are a little heavier. What the fuel pack does is add more fuel really, when you do the pipes and AC it leans out the bike and a side effect of that is the bike running hotter too. So the fuel pack and all other moduals change the air fuel ratio so it is not lean. Harley's run a little rich stock, (helps them stay a little cooler) so thats why just pipes is ok, but u add the ac and it is time for the fuel pack.
Just my .2 cents

Tim

Old 01-01-2010, 10:23 PM
eadlbis
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Hickey
I've got an 08 street bob as well, fuelpak and vh short shots. Havent had any issues at all.

Have you tried contacting VH?
Hi No i havent! just took harleys word for it. Have spoken to a few guys over here who are not running with fuel packs and no problems. I know it makes them run a little more lean and hotter to. My bike is running fantastic at the moment. Have you herd about this little black box harley have come up with? it sounds a little expensive to me at £400 around $600 i think.Apparently you dont fit it to the bike you use it to program something and then just keep it on the shelf if you need it again.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That black box sounds like a SEST or SERT or SEPST. Its a software program and hardware adapter kit that allows a tuner to measure A/F with a dyno and program the ECU to get the right A/F for the rpm and load range. There is no piggy back, just a little module that's connected when tuning.

If you go that route, check out TTS MasterTune which is a much improved version of the HD tuner products for about the same price. You can download the Mastertune manuals from http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp and get a good idea of how Mastertune works.

The HD tuner and TTS are similar products, but MasterTune has more capabilities. The SEPST does not allow you to change the speedo calibration or adjust for different gearing - only the TTS Mastertune will do that. Also, the TTS will allow you to save and restore the original calibration at any time - and has capabilities to do your own tuning and get excellent results without a dyno, by using the included VTune program.

HD dealers sell SERT because it is an HD product, not because it is better.

As far as problems with the fuel pack, usually you only hear of problems here and there have been a few, especially from those in humid or wet places. There are a lot of good ones out there I'm sure that you never hear about. At one time the fuel pack with the XiED was the hot ticket.

Last edited by ColdCase; 01-02-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM
eadlbis
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ColdCase
That black box sounds like a SEST or SERT or SEPST. Its a software program and hardware adapter kit that allows a tuner to measure A/F with a dyno and program the ECU to get the right A/F for the rpm and load range. There is no piggy back, just a little module that's connected when tuning.

If you go that route, check out TTS MasterTune which is a much improved version of the HD tuner products for about the same price. You can download the Mastertune manuals from http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp and get a good idea of how Mastertune works.

The HD tuner and TTS are similar products, but MasterTune has more capabilities. The SEPST does not allow you to change the speedo calibration or adjust for different gearing - only the TTS Mastertune will do that. Also, the TTS will allow you to save and restore the original calibration at any time - and has capabilities to do your own tuning and get excellent results without a dyno, by using the included VTune program.

HD dealers sell SERT because it is an HD product, not because it is better.

As far as problems with the fuel pack, usually you only hear of problems here and there have been a few, especially from those in humid or wet places. There are a lot of good ones out there I'm sure. At one time the fuel pack with the XiED was the hot ticket.
Hi Thanks for the info the Uk is definatly wet and humid place at the moment it sucks love to ride my harley but weather been bad for a while now snowing again today so she can stay in garage nice and warm. I will definatly look into TTS Mastertune before I purchase anything from HD. Thanks again John...

Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes get the mastertune!

Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the fuelpak and see it if runs better. You bike will run fine without it, with or without stage I air filter and exhaust installed. It will just not run as well. That should be your second trouble shooting step. First thing I would do is verify my settings, paying close attention to the + and - signs. If the bike runs fine without the Fuelpak, call VH customer service, emailing them is worthless. If it still runs like crap, and you have a warranty remaining take it to the dealer.
I would also check to make sure the header nuts have not came loose. After a couple of years mine came loose and I was getting a stall when I would give it gas.

TimBob2010 really has no idea what he is talking about, except some myths about why you need fuel management systems.

Originally Posted by TimBob2010
Well the softtails are a little slower then our dynas, do to the balanced engine they loose a little torque from the factory, and I think they are a little heavier. What the fuel pack does is add more fuel really, when you do the pipes and AC it leans out the bike and a side effect of that is the bike running hotter too. So the fuel pack and all other moduals change the air fuel ratio so it is not lean. Harley's run a little rich stock, (helps them stay a little cooler) so thats why just pipes is ok, but u add the ac and it is time for the fuel pack.
Just my .2 cents

Tim
Originally Posted by eadlbis
Hi My name is John and I am from the UK. I have a 2008 street bob when I bought it I had a set of v&h big radius fitted fuel pack and stage 1. for a while now it has not been running smoothly!! now it has started to cut out when stopping at T/lights or just pulling over. it will just cut out! I was told at the harley shop that it was most prob the fuel pack and that a while after mine was fitted they stopped fitting them due to the amount trouble they were giving. They say that v&h say there is no problem with there fule pack! However after disconecting my fuel pack my bike runs fantastic. Because the fuel pack is classed as a piggy back system harley have now come up with a small black box that you can purchase over in the UK for around £400 that replaces the fuel pack and is not a piggy back system like the fuel pack was. I just wondered if any one has had problems with v&h fuel packs in the US.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM
TimBob2010
Cruiser

tlb read this, I wasnt bull shitting about a lean engine running hotter...

http://hypography.com/forums/chemist...e-run-hot.html

Quick Reply: fuel pack