Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Roark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Questions

Gents,

Looking to buy my first bike and have always wanted an H-D. I'm 35 and and want to know if I'm out of my mind to look at Fat Bobs? People have said to buy something smaller to start out with, but honestly it's my mindset that if I'm worried about crashing one I shouldn't buy one in the first place. That just seems like setting myself up to fail. Others have said to start out with a Sportster which I'm fine with but would still prefer the Bob. What you say? First timer on a Fat Bob or something else?

Background: Class A Driver used to driving long distances in large vehicles, hence I'm a very careful driver. Just want something to cruise around the neighborhood on the weekends in the summer. Live in beautiful Minnesota.

Go ahead and be harsh. I want to know if I need to look at something else first.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I would suggest you rent one first, in fact rent a couple different ones, just so you can get a true feel for them, and your comfort level.
Personally I don't subscribe to buy small either, buy what you truly want, don't settle.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on the rent thing. Try out several, the one for you will be apparent after you try a few. It would really be unfortunate to buy something then figure out it's not for you. Don't worry about the size, just get what you like and feel good on.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Wrongturn
Cruiser

Get what u want! I had my mind set on a Harley as well....and didn't want to go the Sportster route because I knew it was not the bike I wanted. I went into Jan. of this yr. with zero riding experience. I'm 32 yr.old 5'9 and weigh 145 soaking wet. So talk about intimidation. Took a riding course and got the bike I wanted, an '07 Dyna Low Rider. One year later I'm not the least bit intimidated by my bike and 100% glad I didn't go the Sportster route. Get the Bob.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I got my very first street bike when I turned 32. A brand new Wide Glide . That was 3 years ago , and I have loved every minute of it . Get what you want , and ride the wheels off of it .

Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
jcghound
Road Captain

Start out having plenty of room to get the feel of the bike and considerer a riding course and buy what you want and will be satisfied with. I wouldnt recommend starting out small if that isnt what you want. You will grow with the bike as you gain experience. If you truly want a bike, why waste time with the renting game?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Renting a few different bikes is not a waste, especially before a 15k purchase. Would you buy a car without trying a few different ones?
Renting is a smart way for someone who has not spent any real time on a bike to get a feel for what fits best. Much smarter than spending 15k on something you may not like after the new joy wears off.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 41 and got back into riding after having the fever for years. I ride by myself a lot and wouldn't ride anything smaller than a Road King. I love my RK Classic. I have ridden the other bikes mentioned but they don't compare to my King! And.no...you're not too young for a touring bike.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the Fatbob!! I learn 16 years old on a 90 FXR that was a big twin and did just fine. My first Harley I purchased was the DYNA. If your worried about the weight in slow speed turns (that's when most drop it) get an engine guard till you get use to it. Once your rolling a bike is a bike, just know your limits in the turns.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM
AlFoley
Intermediate
Default New Rider questions

Agree with what everyone else has said about test rides, it give you a chance to see how various rides fell on the road. However most shops would require that you have a motorcycle license as a requirement. Most of the local harley shops around here charge about $245 for the Riders Edge course, once passed it does give you a break on insurance. You would need a helmet, gloves and a jacket/jeans, they usually provide a Buell 500cc bike to learn on.

Quick Reply: New Rider Questions