Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......

Just got back from my dealer. Had some goodies put on while it's in storage and they just finished up yesterday. I was anxious to see my BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator in action. I'm totally pleased and know it's going to make a HUGE difference when the cagers are behind me or are riding my butt.

Before this, I would grab my brake lever and manually pulse it to get the attention of vehicles behind me.
Saw a couple of video's on YouTube ( just type in BACKOFF XP BRAKE LIGHT MODULATOR) and was impressed with what I saw and decided I had to have one. I've got mine set up to their MODE 2......where the second you grab the lever or touch the foot brake.....the light automatically blinks rapidly 5 times......then stays steady for as long as you've got either lever depressed. They have another mode that flashes 4 short and 1 long then repeats. Mine dont repeat. I also had my dealer rig the OPTIONAL Motorcycle emergency brake light flasher by putting a switch mounted on the right side of my handlebar next to the master cylinder.
For $39.95, for me it was money well spent.
Here is a link to their website where they show the modes and have full schematics on how to hook it up for you do it yourselves.
WORKS ON STANDARD AND LED BRAKE LIGHTS as well.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/xp.asp

The other mod I had done ( other than getting a chrome handlebar, chrome turn signal mounting brackets and the BackOff XP) was a MINI-BEAST 2 in Chrome. Boy, is that baby L-O-U-D. So much better than that wimpy stock horn. I didn't realize that a stock horn was 82 dB's and my exhaust is 94. At 128 decibel's the cagers will hear me even if their windows are up, air and radio's are going.....or someone is yapping on their cell phone.
I would highly recommend this horn and the brake light modulator.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... that horns sounds cool! I want a loud air horn and that sounds like a good option. What are you using for a cover? Do they have different options?

I've also considered a brake light modulator. I now have an LED tail light so it's good to know there is something out there that will work with the LEDs.

Good info, thanks.

Joe

Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior

The Mini Beast comes with the cover and horn together. They have 4 different and unique styled covers and each cover/horn comes in chrome a gloss black, or black wrinkle finish.

Here is a link to their site

http://www.thepropad.com/index.php/p...&category_id=8
They even have a "click here" where you can turn up your volume to hear it.
You Tube also has a few videos where you can hear before and afters.
I'll have to post new photos of my new horn. The photo below is of my old horn cover last year.

Dont be put off by the price......If you do a google search, you can get them for less than what Pro Pad is advertising. I know there are other horns out there that are just as loud for less money, but I like the styling and looks of these.

But I was very, very pleased with the way the brake light modulator worked......and like I mentioned, it works using either the hand or foot brake.....and it's so inexpensive!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

i have bein considering the brake light module i really like it!!! espically b/c i down here in the city there is alot of ***hole drivers around here. i am assuming that they put the module under your seat?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Delmarksman
Tourer

Thanks for the links, a great write up.
Waiting for pics.
Sorry but I just have to do it.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Yes, the module is mounted under the seat....... just splice a couple wires and you're good. Like I mentioned, the complete schematics to install are on the site web site I posted the link to in an earlier post. Below is a link to a guy on YouTube who put on on his rice burner. He set it up with the 4 short 1 long and repeat.....but you get the idea. He shows how he wired it and the size of the unit. But on the Harley, it goes under the seat for sure.
I have no clue how to post a video clip of my own to this site. I'm not that computer savvy. Here is that link to see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqgKrBzW_HY

Like I said.......for $39.95 or less ( check around) for me, it's peace of mind when those jerks are riding your behind and you know you've got a turn coming up. I would also think it would save on brake wear if you're in the habit of pulsating your brakes like I do while in city traffic. With the modulator installed, it blinks..... you dont have to engage your brakes 4 or 5 times to get the same effect.

I'll post photos of the Mini Beast 2 on my Low Rider next time I get down to the dealership, where she's being stored for the winter.I could have kicked myself for not taking a camera with me yesterday.....and believe it or not, I dont own a cell phone to snap a few. But the horn sound is magnificent. Reminds me of an old cadillac with the dual note blast. It was funny....... Hubby was looking at my mods and hit the horn..... The guys at the service desk about peed their pants. They weren't ready for that blast. The lame single note "beep" the stock horn makes wouldn't have had them turn their head.
Here is a link to a guy who has a great video of the before and after sounds of the stock horn vs his Mini Beast 2 . I got the Mini Beast 2 style, but Pro Pad makes several other styles. The decibel levels remains the same no matter which style cover you choose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfnevrEMBk

Last edited by LWOS; 12-31-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 248 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator in action. I'm totally pleased and know it's going to make a HUGE difference when the cagers are behind me or are riding my butt.

This would make a "HUGE difference" If you had one of these facing the person behind you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhrkk...eature=related

Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

What did Wil Smith say in the movie " Independence Day"? "MAN, I HAVE GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!....... That's hysterical!!!

How ya doing WS6?? You know I love your Dyna in the Dragonfly Green/Vivid Black. It's my all time favorite color....and you might recall, my Hubby has that color combo on his 06 Heritage Softail Classic. In October of 2008 we found another 06 Heritage Softail for sale on Ebay which had been stored and never been ridden......and our Daughter bought it.
We're a sight to see going down the road

Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LWOS
...my Hubby has that color combo on his 06 Heritage Softail Classic. In October of 2008 we found another 06 Heritage Softail for sale on Ebay which had been stored and never been ridden......and our Daughter bought it.
We're a sight to see going down the road

LOL... That's awesome!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, check your state motor vehicle inspection laws regarding brake light modulators. They will fail you at state inspection in the People's Republik of New Jersey.

Quick Reply: Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......