Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How about this one for $20 and super small size - 36 flash functions?

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index...roducts_id=181

There are some videos of this in operation at this site.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the BackOff module and am very happy with it.

Buddy of mine has this unit set-up in strobe mode and it's quite impressive.
http://radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c59.html&1

Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jousley........ Yes, Signal Dynamics, who makes the "BACKOFF XP" modulator is what you're looking for. The unit has 2 modes you can pick from. The MODE 2 flashes 5 times rapidly then STAYS ON until you release either the brake lever or the foot brake. I provided links and a You Tube link describing what this modulator does........

Signal Dynamics also makes other forms of brake flashers as well but I think you're looking for the BackOff XP set to MODE 2.
If you click on the site below, you can see how fast they flash and get more info about it.

http://66.252.233.21/products/Modules/xp.asp

If you are running L.E.D.'s or might switch to them in the future, you MUST MAKE SURE you order the BACKOFF "XP"...... not the BACKOFF or BACKOFF "MD" or BACKOFF WIG-WAG modulator.

Last edited by LWOS; 01-04-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Street Glider....... According to that site, their unit is strictly limited for use on a 3rd brake light.....not your primary like the BackOff XP.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks lwos... i'll return the other and get that
J.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
street_glider
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
Street Glider....... According to that site, their unit is strictly limited for use on a 3rd brake light.....not your primary like the BackOff XP.
It can be used on any light LED or incandescent. It specifically lists motorcycles. I think its a better deal since you get 36 modes and its real small in comparison.

I'm going to pick a couple of them up in a month or so, and I'll report back.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Street Glide.....The BackOff XP is very small as well......the size of half a credit card, and a little thicker. I see your module is very small, and it sounds fine, but I'm only interested in having 1 mode, which is rapid flashing a few times, then automatically going into a steady on unless I release the brake and re-apply, which then the sequence would repeat. Once it's spliced into my electrical system, that's it for me. I dont intend to change or modify it.
Your link specifically states, and I too this from their site.....
" 3rd Brake light flasher allows creating brake flashing effect from third brake light to catch the attention of drivers behind. The flasher module is a microprocessor based circuit specifically designed for third brake light operations and packaged in a very tiny package so it can fit behind any third brake light assembly. It works on both LED and incandescent bulbs (4amps max). "

So I dont know why they keep referring to "the 3rd brake light".

Let us know how that module works out for you. Just out of curiousity, why are you going to pick up a "few more"? Do you have other bikes or are you putting them on autos or an ATV?

"jousley"......let us know how the BACKOFF XP works out for you. I really like mine set up to MODE 2, and as I said in another post, I had a separate switch mounted on my handlebar, next to the master cylinder side so I can engage it as an emergency flasher if necessary. I figured as long as the mechanic was under my seat splicing things, he might as well hook it up to this optional mode.
Now I can have my rear turn signals flashing plus I can push my button and have my brake light flash as well.

Last edited by LWOS; 01-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

LWOS - they have to market them for 3rd brake lights on cages as that's the only legal flashing light on a vehicle. I'm sure it'll work fine on 2 wheels, so I'm curious to hear the feedback from SG'r...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Basesman1........
see, that's why God created Men. So they can understand these things better. I tend to take things "literally". I know Baggers like Ultras have quite a few rear brake lights mounted from their hard luggage carriers to to tail lamps and all parts in between.
Anyway, it makes sense how you put it. Anytime I can learn something new, I consider it a plus. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jousley
I ordered a brake light flasher from comagination.... installed and worked, but the tempo of the light flashes was too slow.. anyone have a company that makes a light flasher with some quick flashes then stays on?

J.
Look at these.....
http://www.adjureinc.com/ledtaillights1.html
Look around they also have a modulator and tail/turn combo link up...all same unit....good prices.
In fact there is an Ebay store that sells directly from them too.

Last edited by Terrific Pacific; 01-05-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......