Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 PM
jcghound
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this thread, I ordered one.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jcghound......
Hey, that's great!!! I know you'll be happy with the effect. I wasn't aware that some states make it illegal to have modulators. However, some flash constantly like a police bike would do. These dont. Only when you depress the brake lever or foot brake does it flash, and quickly. I'm glad my state doesn't have "inspections". But if your's does, I sure would check the law. Why they would object to something which would be a safety feature is beyond me.....but then many State and local laws on the books concerning motorcycles are beyond me.

Let us know what you think once you get it all hooked up!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My Kuryakin panacea has a modulation switch for it. I have never used it myself. I sure did notice a difference when I took off my turn signals with the brake turn module vs just having the panacea. If people ever get a chance to ride behind a Harley, notice the stock light is practically invisible with the sun behind it. I have seen countless # of bikes that brake in front of me and the stock taillight just can't be seen when they are riding away from the sun.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Rounder.........
I'm behind my Hubby on every ride.....and mentioned that very fact to him the first or second time we ever rode together. With the sun at his back, you could hardly tell his was braking. He switched over to LED's back there, however I told him his LED turn just didn't illuminate as brightly as the standard bulbs did... so he switched them back. But the LED brake light really made a difference.
I might switch my BL over to LED's next year, since my modulator will work with them.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Love my BackOff module. Cages seem to stop further back at red lights than they did before I installed it.

After almost becoming a hood ornament, I went with the brake module and this plate frame.
http://radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c17.html&1
Very eye catching set-up...

VA has yearly state inspections, but the brake module is legal on motorcycles.

Congrats on the safety upgrade. Did you get your husband & daughter one for X-mas????

Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Baeseman1......... No my Hubby doesn't want one. He......in his infinite wisdom...... thinks it's stupid. He think's his LED lights are just fine. Besides, 99.9% of the time, I'm at the very least, 4 bike lengths behind him ( the old 1000-1, 1000-2 count. My Daughter hasn't seen them yet, but if she likes it, I'll be more than happy to get her one. For the price, it's one mod know I'll be happy I installed.

BTW.....which lighted license plate frame did you get? The one that has the LED's on all 4 sides??? They are nice looking for sure. May have to put one of those on my Xmas list for next year.

Last edited by LWOS; 01-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I used to think my LED lights were so bright there was no way a cage wouldn't see them. Until I had a lifted Jeep lock up their wheels as I was stopping for congested traffic. I saw the light - literally. Added the BackOff module and the plate frame with LED's on all 4 sides.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 AM
jcghound
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
jcghound......
Hey, that's great!!! I know you'll be happy with the effect. I wasn't aware that some states make it illegal to have modulators. However, some flash constantly like a police bike would do. These dont. Only when you depress the brake lever or foot brake does it flash, and quickly. I'm glad my state doesn't have "inspections". But if your's does, I sure would check the law. Why they would object to something which would be a safety feature is beyond me.....but then many State and local laws on the books concerning motorcycles are beyond me.

Let us know what you think once you get it all hooked up!!!
Will do. We dont have inspections in my area, not even the Emissions and I havent found any literature saying they are illegal in GA. I dont worry much about what is ahead of me that I can see or anticipate but what is behind me is always a concern...lol

Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior

I hear ya. Hey Baeseman1....... I think you talked me into that 4 sided LED plate. I'll have to order it and have my dealer install it. You're right.....for vehicles that sit higher up ( like those Dodge Ram Pick Up's and Hummers) anything sitting up higher would be benificial. As you know, they discontinued the Low Rider and if mine is crunched, I'd be out of luck getting another......especially in my limited edition color. The Low Rider is the only bike I can ride, and I had to have it lowered almost 2" at that. Legs cant reach forward controls on other models, and I cant even reach my own highway pegs. Having a short 26" inseam and being 5'2" is my problem. So you can see, where my brake light sits is even lower than most bikes.
Thanks for the link to radiantz........ I'll be ordering it way before Christmas. Maybe by next week!!

Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered a brake light flasher from comagination.... installed and worked, but the tempo of the light flashes was too slow.. anyone have a company that makes a light flasher with some quick flashes then stays on?

J.

Quick Reply: Installed a BackOff XP Brake Light Modulator......