Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Mod...Doing away with Switch Housings for good

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

man that is going to be super clean! i love it

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

man you just can't leave well enough alone. get some pics up. any eta on your new wheels? i know i can't wait to see what they look like on your bike.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not hi jackin your thread just doin a similar thing here. Turn sigs are on the brake housing (jaybrake) Threw the horn in the trash.Hard wired run stop to run only,put start button an the end of starter solinoid, hi-low switch on a toggle. Bars are basically done nice and clean just need to paint them. Nice work dude. Oh ya run a jockey so no clutch

Attached Thumbnails Winter Mod...Doing away with Switch Housings for good-night-train-project.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

After seeing those JM controls, I think I just got a chubby.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Shred4204
Cruiser

Very nice...I put Ness billet switches on a suzuki some years back..wiring momentary switches for some functions are tricky...I've spoke to JM about their switch housings this year....they say plug and play..hmmm...but...i'm thinking you hi/lo switch will need a inline relay to go momentary....well..anything you want to...push once..on....push again off...will need a relay.that does not work that way originally..you gotta research it....HHI makes momentary switch housings but you need to buy a 180.00 harness to make it plug and play..if you got security?..another issue?...just throwing out what if's?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

As far as the momentary stuff goes, only the blinkers and horn are going on the bars. The horn is obviously momentary and not an issue. I'm pretty sure that the blinker cancel is in the TSM and only recieves a momemtary signal from the blinker housings so again shouldnt be an issue. The remaining functions; hi/lo is going to be an on/off toggle on the console so no relay necessary, the on/off switch will be replaced by a on/off toggle on the dash so not an issue and the starter switch will be a momentary toggle on the dash. All new switches should mirror the function of the originals. Also, I do have security and read up on problems with removing the clutch interlock and the brake switch. Some posts said to splice the interlock wires together but with security that will throw a code. By removing it completely the bike will start both in nuetral and in gear but shouldnt throw a dcode or the red key on the speedo; with no connectivity at all its going to be as if the clutch just wasnt engaged to start. Im always trying to do crap that hasnt been done so obviously theres a learning curve. But I dont want to spend a ton to do it. Kind of why im writing the post to help others along as I go. Thanks for the input though.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like a lot of work but will be worth it in the end. I have looked at these and thought a lot about going them or a set of ISR hand controls for LA choprods. I'll be following your progress and looking forward to what you end up with.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

Saw the ISR stuff those are sweet too. Just always liked the JM stuff especially with the short smooth levers.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

Joker machine is no joke! Got my levers yesterday and buttons. Stuff is sweet, im stoked. Mocked it up this morning and with exception to a 3/8" button switch between the throttle housing and the lever clamp. On the left will be two button switches between the grip and lever clamp. So basically this is how its gonna sit. I'll drill the bars tomorrow for the switches, i'll make sure I take pics. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Muddyape; 01-12-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter Mod...Doing away with Switch Housings for good