Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Ride - Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Grind
I'm in! Put in my vacation request and got a new tent. I'll be heading down on Thursday, arriving late afternoon/evening.
Here's to good weather and a safe ride down. Look forward to meeting you. See you Friday evening sometime.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Here's to good weather and a safe ride down. Look forward to meeting you. See you Friday evening sometime.
Still looking at the 16th-18th?

Did the rock slide(s) throw a wrench into the equation at all?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Yes, my plan is to leave that Friday morning the 16th, head back on Sunday. You still going to join me for the ride down?
Rock slide??

Old 03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Rock slide??
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...provider=gnews

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

One report says it will be open by the 26th of March, here's hoping that is correct.
Here's a good page to keep up on the Dragon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tail-o...1058066?ref=mf

Old 03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted this morning in the Road Trips section.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...rockslide.html

Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As of today, TNDOT has a planned TOTD reopening of 9/1.

This sounds like a way for TN to close the road. I wouldn't be surprised if that is their plan. You;'d think with the thousands of bikes and cars that vacation there bringing in much needed tourism money into the area they'd clean it up quickly but I guess they must be part of the "we're a bunch of idiots and don't grasp the concept of tourism and how it helps our local economy" group.

That update was from TOTD on facebook. Im trying to locate the actual news release but have been unlucky so far.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-24-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
HillBillieWG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being from that area of TN and managing construction for a living...9/1 sounds reasonable depending on the extent of the slide. I mean...how long was/is 40 closed (it was closed when I was home in Feb...haven't asked the fam if it was open again or not)?

On another note...the other day here in Afghanistan I was talking to a customer on my jobsite. We ended up talking about one of the locals bikes (a real bad a$$ Chinese 150 like they all ride here) and he said that he had ridden it a couple of days ago. Then he said he had gave him a Deals Gap sticker to put on it. I said I was from that area, and low and behold he was too. Kinda strange to be over here and through a motorcycle realize me and the guy are 30 minutes apart back home.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM
fwms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I was sure planning to ride the dragon this year. My son and I have been looking forward to this… anyone know the address for the Governor of TN? Might be a good time to let him know how we feel, especially you folks in TN! Maybe if he gets enough messages he might reconsider.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HillBillieWG
Being from that area of TN and managing construction for a living...9/1 sounds reasonable depending on the extent of the slide. I mean...how long was/is 40 closed (it was closed when I was home in Feb...haven't asked the fam if it was open again or not)?

On another note...the other day here in Afghanistan I was talking to a customer on my jobsite. We ended up talking about one of the locals bikes (a real bad a$$ Chinese 150 like they all ride here) and he said that he had ridden it a couple of days ago. Then he said he had gave him a Deals Gap sticker to put on it. I said I was from that area, and low and behold he was too. Kinda strange to be over here and through a motorcycle realize me and the guy are 30 minutes apart back home.
Cool story HillBillie. It sure is a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

I don't think the slide was that extensive that it should cause the road to be close for 6mos. going on the pictures posted at TNDOT website. I guess I'm thinking too logically on this one, especially since we have a tentative ride next month. I guess it's just more time on the BRP and such.

Quick Reply: Let's Ride - Tail of the Dragon