Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Ride - Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you guys are back safe and had a good time. Am still jealous and still waiting for the pics you guys promised those of us who had to stay home and mind the home fires.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm still settling down and will post up the few pics I got. Rich (8541hog) actually has video of us on the dragon and other area roads. He's still traveling home so expect it to take a few days. I'm looking forward to seeing the video too. We didn't have any laptops present to preview them.

Locked...Paul (Grind) was suggesting a possible trip back in August. Maybe we can start a new plan as of today. It would definitely be hotter in the daytime and more comfortable at night during that timeframe.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Vic, great idea. That gives me time to put some more sick/vacation time together at work and hubby should be able to ride by then. Keep me informed. I want in this time.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
DirtNap
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah,, im up for that!!!,,,,My wife asked,,,, Why is it every time you turn on the lap top,,,, You get sad puppy dog eyes,,,,I replied with,,,,Oh im just reading about some guys from the H.D. forum,,,, that teamed up for a trip to the tail of dragon and i don't have any vacation time until July,,,,,,She looked very pleased and relaxed,,,,,lol,,,

Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, just told my husband that I want to go and tried to get him to check it out on the web and see why I want to go. He wants to know what would make me want to take a 2 day ride to ride the dragon - 11 miles - and then ride home. He obviously doesn't like to ride just for the sake of riding like I do.
If I can't talk him into it, he may have to stay and babysit or something. lol

Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Yeah, just told my husband that I want to go and tried to get him to check it out on the web and see why I want to go. He wants to know what would make me want to take a 2 day ride to ride the dragon - 11 miles - and then ride home. He obviously doesn't like to ride just for the sake of riding like I do.
If I can't talk him into it, he may have to stay and babysit or something. lol
Explain that it's more than just 11miles of road. There is absolute breath-taking riding in that area. The Dragon is just a bonus.

We only had a chance to scratch the surface as far as the riding in that area. Two times I've been there I still haven't gotten to ride the Blue Ridge parkway and this next time that is gonna change.

Oh, and ....as far as road closures go. If anyone has been to the dragon, the road was closed about 2miles north of the scenic lookout at the top. You could not go any further into TN than that. I was speaking to a TN DOT personnel at the lookout and he said the contract for cleanup ends 7/31 and they'll get $65k a day bonus for every day that they finish early. He suspects they'll be done by late late may/early june.

I certainly hope the TN trooper presence subsides by then but then again, there were some mazda's really tearing up the dragon and heard a couple of them got popped. One passed me screeching through one of the turns. It certainly made me check my shorts not long after.

Also, I did bring my fiance' who is a mediocre passenger. She does a lot of fidgeting at the most inappropriate times while on my bike. I couldn't emphasize enough with her that she needs to be still during the dragon and general riding up there as I want neither of us to end up in a TN hospital or worse.... I'm glad to say she listened to my words (finally) and the first scrape she gave me this evil little laugh and just said in a low voice "we're draggin..."

Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Here's some of my pics. Nothing special.

Pee break, gas stop, alcohol stop in Bryson City, NC...Ghostbusters were on the scene. Yes, it had the same exact horn as the car in the movie.

L to R: John (Grind's bud), Rich (8541hog), Paul (Grind), Rich's S.O., Your's truly. Same gas stop in Bryson City, NC.

Paul (Grind) stopping a leaky primary drain plug / checking primary fluid level at the IronHorse M/C Lodge. I had my truck along with my bike so I had tools and my jack.

Paul still wrenching...

Group photo...John (non-HDF), Rich (8541hog), Vic, Paul (Grind) @ the Iron Horse M/C Lodge.

At the scenic lookout at the top of the Dragon.

Some of the view from the scenic lookout.

Group bike photo at Deal's Gap; base of the Dragon.

Another self-portrait @ Deal's Gap.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the videos and pics from the other guys.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 04-18-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a damn cold ride home. 34° when we headed out from Corbin, KY. Might have gotten into the 50s during the day and currently 40°. I normally don't mind riding in the cold, but doing it all day sucks.

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
When you hit the top, was it as cold as I suspected it would be? The views really are awe-inspring.
It was a little chilly, but nothing we weren't prepared for. The views were gorgeous!

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Saturday evening on the way back down the Cherohala I did see (Rich was doing something and not paying attention) a totaled Ultra on the back of a flatbed. Even the tourpak was toast. The lid was gone, except for one corner of it. I can only hope the driver faired better.
We saw a "bike" on a flatbed, but it was on a higher speed, sweeping curve, so we couldn't identify it, other than it was a bagger.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

Not bad pics from a phone. Beautiful scenery.

Attached Thumbnails Let's Ride - Tail of the Dragon-100_0472.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you all had a good time. After seeing the pics I'm wishing I had went.

Quick Reply: Let's Ride - Tail of the Dragon