Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly does an FXD need True-Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How badly does an FXD need True-Track?

I'm not looking for a 'busa, just a replacement for my sporty. A girl ran a stop sign back in September & totaled my '08 XLC (after only 22,000 miles, rest it's soul). I've healed, and I have an insurance check, and was looking at an '08 Super Glide, but the threads on this forum about rear steer and stability have just about talked me out of it.

Just how bad is this "instability" I'm hearing about Dynas? Are we talking about tank slappers, or just a little vibe that you overcome by keeping your hands on the bars?

Some people say it only happens in sweepers above 80MPH, but an intersection at 30MPH can generate the same lateral load (gravity doesn't change, and the bike is leaning at the same angle without falling over). Dodging potholes would do it too. Other people say 30MPH decelerating will cause instability.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
yso191
Club Member

The FXD is not an unsafe bike. I have felt the wobble only rarely in a year and a half with the bike. And it was not scary, it was more of a "Hmm, that's what they're talking about."

It is an excellent improvement that is noticeable even going straight down the road, but please don't hear that the stock FXD is anything but fun and safe. So, it is an improvement, but NOT a necessity.

If I was unable to buy the True-Track, I would still buy the FXD and ride the wheels off of it. So if $ is the issue just save up or don't get it. You'll still be happy.

Steve

Old 12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Fully agree with Steve. TT is not necessary, but worth it if you can afford it. Gives a peace of mind.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fully agree with Steve and Man O'War. The stock Dyna is a fine bike but it
can be improved.

I have both the TT and a fork brace on my bike and I'm very enthusiastic about
the results, but they aren't absolutely necessary. I find that they give much
improved steering sensitivity and definitely improved cornering stability on undulating
surfaces when you're really honkered over.

Look at it this way; people will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on
various engine mods or on appearance items and no one questions it.

I've spent less than $500 and now have the confidence to ride aggressively but
safely anywhere I go. There are very twisty mountain roads only a couple hours
from my home that have unguarded drop-offs of 1,000 feet or more and also
constantly shed pretty good sized rocks so good handling is a premium for me.

Others riding in less demanding environments may never feel the need to upgrade
the suspension but if you like to get over onto the pegs, just do it.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
AlFoley
Intermediate
Default FXD need TrueTrak

I have ridden my 08 Superglide about 5600 mile in last 7 months, while I'm not a street-racer, I do on occasion cutup on the street. Only real issues I have had is dragging the lower exhaust pipe, and wearing down the forward control pegs a little. Am considering rear shock update, but have concerns with how the TrueTrack mounts with certain accessories. I have the HD oil cooler and the HD Crash bars that mount to the frame. Those items seem to make the TrueTrak install a little complicated.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default FXD wobble?

I've got an"09 FXD so this may not apply but I have no problem with vibration....unless I get on one of those sick roads around here that grab your tires....I usually see them coming though.

I've had the bike to 110 mph...the faster it goes the smoother the ride it seems. I've got 3,000 miles on it and love it!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

It's a good bike and it handles very well...your doing too much reading...

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have felt the instability when making a quick unscheduled lane change at about 30 MPH. However, it happens once you know what it is and you know how to react. For most normal non-racing riding it is not an issue. I would spend the money to put a 110 or 120 tire on the front first to avoid road grooves before I did the True Track, and IMHAO the Sputhe Positrac device placed only on the front solves 90% of the problems the True Track does for half the price. Sputhe will sell a front device only while with True Track you half to buy the whole thing.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 12-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a few Ninjas, and push I the limits at times, but I never felt any instabilty yet, the True Track is not on my list anytime soon. My bike does its job as a cruiser just fine.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it depends on how you ride if you like to go fast through corners you will have to do something or just ride through the wobble.To me it's not frightening just dissapointing.

Quick Reply: How badly does an FXD need True-Track?