Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly does an FXD need True-Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been riding an '03 FXD since December '02 and the only wobble I have ever noticed was after I adjusted the fall-away per the specs in the service manual. Re adjusting just a tad tighter than the manual suggests eliminated any signs of wobble. Handling is just fine without and suspension modifications. I've had it up to 105 MPH and never felt anything that made me nervous.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll echo what everyone else says here. If all depends on what you want your bike to do. It's a great upgrade, very noticeable, but no I don't think the bike is unsafe without it.

If it's on your mind, you should probably get it If you don't notice a difference, you can sell it here easily.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sonny,

You're lucky. Sounds like the stock HD is perfect for how you like to ride.

I would venture to say that many (most?) would disagree, and really appreciate the difference even mild upgrades (power, handling, braking) provide.

Even a small bump in torque (stage 1) over stock is a great feeling, as are better tires, shocks and brakes.

A stock HD is so restrictive in order to comply with EPA requirements the motor isn't performing anywhere near its peak efficiency or potential. I don't think this is "change just for the sake of change"

Originally Posted by Sonny's World
I have an essentially stock '05 FXD (with 39 mm forks) have put 10,000 miles on it and have never felt any kind of wobble or instability, at least not up to this point.

People want to change things just for the sake of change. It seems some people want to upgrade just about everything.

Increase the horsepower (I certainly can get it to 90 mph, but why would I want to?) Improve the braking (I haven't run into anything...yet.) Upgrade the suspension to be able to make 90 degree turns and to ride off of cliffs (It's a cruiser and I just want to cruise safely.)

I will admit to having put a few bucks into cosmetics to make the bike look the way I want it to look, and in a couple of comfort mods though.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
mbwannabe1
Tourer

Thanks, everybody.
Anybody trying to sell an aftermarket part tries to make it sound like it is a "must have". Some bike owners feel a need to have the best/fastest, but I'm not one of them. I do like to have fun, and I was a peg scraper on my Sporty, but I'm not in a competetion trying to get to the finish line first.

I'll probably buy that FXD now and find out first hand. Sounds like the "wobble" is controllable when it happens. I might spend $300 later on after I get a summer on the bike, but I wasn't about to put a $300 band-aid on an $11,000 purchase just so I could survive the honeymoon.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

14,000 + miles and I've only experienced on severe wobble and I'm not sure it wasn't my fault. I've found that if my tire pressure is even a bit off, that it doesn't track as well over uneven pavement. I'm no peg dragger so I probably haven't noticed or been concerned about it. My FDX has been great! I may keep it longer and install a 103 Stage II kit.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
What kind of rear shocks are those? They don't look stock.
The shocks are Progressive 440's and came powdercoated black, or are available chromed. They are about 6/10's inch longer than stock. There are finer shocks by far than these, but these are way more capable than then stock shocks which are too low for my wants and too chromed as well

Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Sonny,

You're lucky. Sounds like the stock HD is perfect for how you like to ride.

I would venture to say that many (most?) would disagree, and really appreciate the difference even mild upgrades (power, handling, braking) provide.

Even a small bump in torque (stage 1) over stock is a great feeling, as are better tires, shocks and brakes.

A stock HD is so restrictive in order to comply with EPA requirements the motor isn't performing anywhere near its peak efficiency or potential. I don't think this is "change just for the sake of change"
You "Should" only speak for yourself...my bike handles great just the way it is...stock...I've ridden a stage 1 Dyna..I can't tell a hell of a lot of difference.