Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How badly does an FXD need True-Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if you read this post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-question.html

But a Dyna will ride just fine if you don't ride hard. If you do like to "push" your machine you will want to upgrade your suspension. I loved my SuperGlide Custom the minute I sat on it and rode it home, but when I really started to "ride" it, I wanted more out of it. And now I'm getting most of what I want, but I feel I can still get a little more, but it's gonna cost me a bit more coin. I think that if you want a Dyna that has the ultimate suspension set-up should only run no more than $2500 at most! And that would give you complete adjustability front and rear along with engine stabilizing. You can drop that much on on big bore kits that give you big numbers in HP and TQ, but the geometry of our bikes only allow us only to go so far if we like the twisties. If you're into hole shots or drag racing that's where HP/TQ numbers mean alot more, but hitting the tight or long sweeping curves and corners those numbers don't mean squat when your bike is wallowing or skipping thruough those turns!

Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Get the FXDC, best bang for the money IMO. Here's my short story.... I put a new D407 on the rear of my FXDC, did the vehicle alignment as stated in the service manual, and also removed the preload on the front motor mount. (search threads for procedure)

I have to push it hard... harder than my exhaust pipes and front kury pegs will allow now... to get it to do weird things in corners now. That's all I did... bike handles great.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mbwannabe1
I'm not looking for a 'busa, just a replacement for my sporty. A girl ran a stop sign back in September & totaled my '08 XLC (after only 22,000 miles, rest it's soul). I've healed, and I have an insurance check, and was looking at an '08 Super Glide, but the threads on this forum about rear steer and stability have just about talked me out of it.

Just how bad is this "instability" I'm hearing about Dynas? Are we talking about tank slappers, or just a little vibe that you overcome by keeping your hands on the bars?

Some people say it only happens in sweepers above 80MPH, but an intersection at 30MPH can generate the same lateral load (gravity doesn't change, and the bike is leaning at the same angle without falling over). Dodging potholes would do it too. Other people say 30MPH decelerating will cause instability.
I ride the **** out my Dyna, and do a lot of cornering with it. It is raised a little more than 1/2 inch in the rear.

In the photo above is the bike running thru Deals Gap, this past spring. At that time it had no stabilizer on the front forks (it does now) and my Dyna still has NO STABILIZER on the rear.
For whatever the reason, I can ride the bike to its' limits (the front and rear tires are worn completely to the edges of the tread, and the footpegs are scraped completely thru their diameter. At the speeds the bike is capable of taking the turns in the Dragon (probably not more than 40mph in any of the Dragon turns) the '09 Dyna of mine is absolutely a stunningly capable motorcycle for a big cruiser. It is poised, stable, easy to turn into corners, holds turn lines as if on rails, just giving a bit of workout to me for quick turn reversals thru S turn sections. The bike handles SUPERBLY thru the Dragon, pressed to its' limits.
Now, take the same bike, get on a road with larger radius turns..... Cherahola Skyway for example ..... head into a beautiful smooth 60+mph sweeper, set up into the turn, settle the chassis by applying some throttle.....and you are suddenly on a very different and disconcerting ride. Leaning the big bike over to drag the pegs in a turn at over 60mph generates FAR LARGER forces thru the entire motorcycle frame and the beast becomes a little unhinged.
So, I don't ride my unstabilized motor mount Dyna in hi speed (more than 60 mph) turns where the turn radius is needing peg scraping lean angles to safely navigate those turns at 60+

Just to reiterate, my particular Dyna, an '09 Fat Bob is immensely entertaining, fully under stable control and a total blast on severly tight twisty roads.......at speeds less than 60.

On straights and any turn you don't seek full lean angles at speeds in excess of 60 mph, the bike is absolutely stable and fully confidence inspiring.

The pictures shown on the True Track site of a big Harley crashing on the Dragon, and their implying that the rubber mounted Harley engine has something to do with the crash..... is complete crap . A recent model, properly maintained and adjusted Harley is not going to suffer frame/ engine mount stability induced handling problems at the speeds that a stock height Harley is capable of on that famous highway 129 @ The Dragon.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have owned my 03 from new and fitted a TT kit myself. While it is true it improves the bike when riding aggressively, be assured it improves the feel and ride of the bike in all conditions. If you fit one you will be able to feel the change before you get into top gear. All you are doing is fitting the same stabilizers every Buell and rubber-mount Sportster has stock. If you ride and enjoy a Dyna, you will enjoy it even more with a TT kit installed. Do you need one? No, but it is probably the cheapest way of improving it in a way you will benefit from every time it moves.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

I have an essentially stock '05 FXD (with 39 mm forks) have put 10,000 miles on it and have never felt any kind of wobble or instability, at least not up to this point.

People want to change things just for the sake of change. It seems some people want to upgrade just about everything.

Increase the horsepower (I certainly can get it to 90 mph, but why would I want to?) Improve the braking (I haven't run into anything...yet.) Upgrade the suspension to be able to make 90 degree turns and to ride off of cliffs (It's a cruiser and I just want to cruise safely.)

I will admit to having put a few bucks into cosmetics to make the bike look the way I want it to look, and in a couple of comfort mods though.

Last edited by Sonny's World; 12-17-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really is a matter of choice. For myself, I discovered the wobble and went looking for a fix. I have a six mile stretch of four lane with no access ramps and no turn around points for police to chase you down. It's called River Watch Parkway and as the name implies, it's a curvy road that follows the shoreline of a very old river. The rearend of the motorcycle started wobbling on left hand sweepers at 70 MPH. After installing the TrueTrack those same sweepers are rock solid at 90 MPH and the pegs have been completely scraped off as well as the bottom of the primary below the derby cover.
Many of the people on this forum have no idea about this issue other than what they read right here. That's not a slam on anyone, just an observation that many people will never have a problem with the stock configuration.
Take it for what it's worth.
$300/$400 was a cheap fix.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience is similar to centerlines, the chassis stabilizer can give the rider more confidence on those high speed on/off ramps, but they are certainly not necessary. The bike does feel a bit more solid at any speed but the type and condition of the tires makes much more of a difference.

BTW I chose the more recent Sputhe version because it is smaller and easier to also fit the HD oil cooler.

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-17-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 AM
dirtbag113
Intermediate

I must be missing something, i have had turd bikes and junkers thrown together and rode the crap out of them. I thought when a got my street bob i was in motorcycle heaven. If there is a "wobble" "shake" "vibration"or a "shimmy" i have not even noticed it unless your talking about the superglides only. i learned along time ago not to read to much into reviews on motorcycles. I have 11,300 miles on my 07 street bob and i plan on riding it until it falls apart and then rebuild it until it falls apart again and so on and so on. If you feel a vibration at 100 miles an hour......that means dont ride 100 miles an hour. ride it and love it you will not be disapointed with the dyna, i have a riding buddy who traded his 05 superglide for a 08 heritage softail, he loves the softail dont get me wrong, but on several occasions when we are farting around town he has said he missed his dyna. they are fun non-bulky motorcycles that can go on long trips and short jonts and man i just cant say enough about them. i have rode almost everymodel scooter out there including the big harleys and they are nice but i would not trade for anything. just my three cents. cheers

Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
gibbyflhx
Cruiser

To be honest im sure the bike will be perfectly fine in 90% of the time. Over on the touring forum the same conversation was going on. I installed the missing link on my streetglide and honestly was let down. I rode the bike pretty hard (floor boards ground down) and did not see a difference after installing the missing link. I also never experienced any real wobble on my 02 fxdwg3.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,875 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
I ride the **** out my Dyna, and do a lot of cornering with it. It is raised a little more than 1/2 inch in the rear.

In the photo above is the bike running thru Deals Gap, this past spring. At that time it had no stabilizer on the front forks (it does now) and my Dyna still has NO STABILIZER on the rear.
What kind of rear shocks are those? They don't look stock.

Quick Reply: How badly does an FXD need True-Track?