Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Dreamin' what if...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Dreamin' what if...

OK, I really like having that green light come on when I'm in 6th gear on my FXD. The thing is this...I would like that little green light to show what gear I'm in whether it be 3rd or 5th or whatever.

What if Harley did it that way? Would it be great or what?

If they sold a Gizmo I'd buy it....well maybe not... it would depend on price. Hey, wait a minute!! I think they should come from the factory that way so you'd always know the gear you're in. Let's all send emails to Harley...whadya think?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:15 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to feel the same way. After getting used to the bike, though, I can tell what gear I'm in by looking at the speedo and feeling/listening to how the motor is running. I agree, it would be nice nonetheless though.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy one, with the helmet and ear plugs sometimes hard to tell if my speed and rpm are correct. I think someone sells and easy add on tach, Dakota I think that may help you.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dakota digital has that option on their speedo/tach units. I don't think Harley would ever go that far unless they go to a digital speedo. And to me a digital dash on a Harley doesn't fit the "look" Harley has! IMHO. Just by looking at my speedo I can tell what gear I'm in.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Handy little things...

I'm in a high traffic area and shifting gears back and forth in stop and go traffic so much I don't know where I am most of the time in the gear range. Then sometimes I need to get out of the way quick...gas it and the engine bogs down. Then I'm downshifting for a lower gear and there's that car headed straight toward me with the driver on the cell phone in a state where it is illegal and should be. You know, they never catch them until the accident is over and your lawyer has to get a court order to try to prove they were on the cell phone at the time of the accident.

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to monitor the gear you're in at all times....

Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Easy fix?

I should point out that my FXD's green light that comes on in 6th gear does actually say "6" in green. I got thinking maybe not all riders have that in their speedos. Anyway, that is why I think it would not be hard for the MOCO to install an upgraded sender unit capable to sending any gear number (1 through 6 ) to your speedo to let you know where you are at all times in your gear range.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really need to know what gear your in ???? I think its a strange idea and basically you should feel what gear your in while your riding and it should be in the right one at any given time,sure you can hear it..if you can't you can at least feel the bike under you.Looking down at a gear indicator light while you should be looking at the road ahead is just a distraction and things can happen in a split second,,quick glimpse at the speedo is bad enough.If your riding a bike you should feel at one with it and know.Only light thats needed is a rev limiter light lol...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
Do you really need to know what gear your in ???? I think its a strange idea and basically you should feel what gear your in while your riding and it should be in the right one at any given time,sure you can hear it..if you can't you can at least feel the bike under you.Looking down at a gear indicator light while you should be looking at the road ahead is just a distraction and things can happen in a split second,,quick glimpse at the speedo is bad enough.If your riding a bike you should feel at one with it and know.Only light thats needed is a rev limiter light lol...

I agree... And I asked the same question at a Harley dealer and was told that Harley would never do that. If you want/need to know what gear you're in, buy a metric.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
I used to feel the same way. After getting used to the bike, though, I can tell what gear I'm in by looking at the speedo and feeling/listening to how the motor is running. I agree, it would be nice nonetheless though.
Yup. I always know what gear I'm in looking at the speedo.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
NOZEM
Road Warrior

Learn thy hog or get a wingdinger.

Quick Reply: I'm Dreamin' what if...