Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Dreamin' what if...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Derv

Uhh, just because somone does something first doesn't make it right. The French drive on the same side as we do....and they are as ancient as you brits...

One of the responders had a zen solution, sort of, a one with the road and gearbox kind of thing. Now, i can get into that...but don't i need a GSXR series bike for that?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just watch and learn from SOA ...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahaha, I can only imagine where this thread is going.

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Just watch and learn from SOA ...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

hommes do you look down to find the shifter, too?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
I should point out that my FXD's green light that comes on in 6th gear does actually say "6" in green. I got thinking maybe not all riders have that in their speedos. Anyway, that is why I think it would not be hard for the MOCO to install an upgraded sender unit capable to sending any gear number (1 through 6 ) to your speedo to let you know where you are at all times in your gear range.
I think any of us with the 6 spd tranny have the green 6 on the speedo. It's kind of worthless, though, because if there is 1 gear that I can always tell I'm in without looking, it's 6th.

By the way, I am not 100% sure on this but I've heard that the light is not activated by some sending unit from the tranny that is physically indicating the gear but, rather the bike is calculating 6th gear based on your speed and rpm's. I assume the same could be done for the other gears and is probably why you see some aftermarket tachs with gear positions on them.

Just keep in mind that the more widgets you have, the more things there are to break. When I first got my bike, I wondered why they only tell you about sixth gear but not the rest but it didn't take long to realize I didn't need to know sixth even, much less the rest of them. I don't feel a need for a tach for the same reason. I shift by feel and sound and I know what gear I'm in the same way.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mud,
That's pretty impressive, but can you select different fonts? While I like comic sans, I can imagine I'd like to change it every week or so to keep myself entertained while knowing for sure what gear I'm in.
Seriously Hommes, get a tach and keep the rpms above 2200. That's all you need to be concerned with.
The 6th gear light is worthless during daylight hours with a silver face speedo anyway, it's invisible.

Originally Posted by mud
I procrastinated for a long time and finally decided this is the route to go.........

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Superdash

I gotta admit, when I looked at that setup Mud put on the forum I was impressed. If he did it himself it had to be ALOT of work...mechanically or in Photoshop. It was a real kick...I especially liked the temp side of the guage with what looks like a label stuck on the glass....I'm still laughing...and the red color!! Very cool stuff.

All in all I think Mud could make a TON of money selling these to the folks that make those BIG WHEELS for kids.....hey wait a minute...maybe thats where he got it!!

This dialog will probably go on for a while and i have to say...its been fun.

So Mud.....why did they give us a light in the speedometer for 6th?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes

.....why did they give us a light in the speedometer for 6th?
Because you don't want to lug the motor, especially in 6th

Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default 2007fxdc

2007fxdc...Yeah, that's what I said earlier on this thread. So Harley MUST think that A BUNCH OF US don't know what gear we're in, so to cover themselves on super lugs that could damage the motor they give us a shiny new 6th gear light...for free!! I mean, we didn't ask for it, right?

This is off the subject, but now that i have pipes, hi flow air and a stage 1 on my bike 6th is not nearly as lame as it was...it will pull in 6th real good from 50mph...

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Murphdog...

Thanks for the big laugh I got from your post about being able to change fonts on the guage. It was funny to me because if there was a button for that, I would be using it. Looking at the same old fonts for years is a real drag, don't you think?

Guys on this forum spend a fortune upgrading their bikes with chrome or blacked out parts...how come I can't upgrade my fonts? It ain't right!!

Quick Reply: I'm Dreamin' what if...