Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,186 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
Because you almost have to exceed the posted speed limit to find this flaw and going fast around corners is not what a cruiser is designed for or what most cruiser riders care about so,..they can get away with it. And in the MOCOs defense the few bikes they built with quality suspensions the 1200S and the FXDX didn't sell all that great. IMO for what these bikes cost they should have ALLOT better suspension components than they do and they should have solved the rubber mounted swing arm issue by now.
Great post, and right on the money.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the wobble and thought it was the lowered suspension, glad to see this thread to ease my mind and now I don't need TT or superbrace. I can live with it.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jss1975snow
I felt the wobble and thought it was the lowered suspension, glad to see this thread to ease my mind and now I don't need TT or superbrace. I can live with it.
Lowering the suspension, especially the rear only accentuates this issue.If you've only lowered the rear and not the front you can get some stability back by sliding the fork tubes up in the triples some.Also firmer spring rates front and rear will help if not completely eliminate this issue.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,186 Likes on 810 Posts

JSS,

With your Burly Slammer kit installed, you even have less room for error on those high speed sweeping turns. You still have the crappy stock Harley rubber mounted swingarm bushings, coupled with 1.5 - 2 inches less suspension travel because of your stubby Burly shocks. I would think that the lateral instability/wobble would be much more noticeable on your bike than a stock Harley.

I love the look of your bike, but why not use something like True Track, if it will shore up lateral stability, and greatly improve the handling characteristics of your scoot? Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Most people who have ever rode a FXDX or 1200 sport with better tires than stock would say it lacked nothing in handling ability. Again, they didn't sell well which i take to mean most Harley riders are more interested in looks not performance. If you ride slow in a straight line they all handle just fine.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Lateral stability on Dynas suck, especially in the situation you mention above.

I would give True Track a try. You're basically adding a stabilizer link to the front and the rear motor mounts. I'm told that it really helps handling by isolating the lateral movement of the engine/tranny/swingarm. This keeps the rear wheel in line with the front during those high sweepers at 80 mph +, and eliminates the wobble. Your mileage may vary.
By adding a True-Track kit you are giving your bike the same stabilizers Harley fit as stock on Sportsters and all the Buells. If it is good enough for those bikes they should be on all Dynas!

I have an FXDXT with a TT. These things not only improve ride and handling as others have described, but even in a straight line. I also have one on my Glide and they are great!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Most people who have ever rode a FXDX or 1200 sport with better tires than stock would say it lacked nothing in handling ability. Again, they didn't sell well which i take to mean most Harley riders are more interested in looks not performance. If you ride slow in a straight line they all handle just fine.
Exactly; Dynas have the potential to do so much more than "cruise" but it does cost money. If your not interested, fine...but for those of us that want more, there's a lot that can be done. It's not only about money, but about expectations and knowledge. And it doesn't have to be a 22 rimfire vs 44 magnum thing; "If you wanna go fast buy a crotch rocket"...I've ridden (and crashed) a few other bikes in the last year alone (Aprillia, BMW, Honda, HD) and still prefer the all-round performance of my FXDXT with all the mods I've had done.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The lowering doesn't help. I think the reason for the wobble is more in the shocks you purchased than anything. Inexpensive shocks tend to have very little lateral stability. They just are not made with stronger, thicker, less flexible material like an Ohlin or other higher end shock. The burly shock are good for lowering the scoot on a budget, but they do have a hard time providing stability and good ride quality at their price point. Had you lowered you bike with works shocks or perhaps YSS if they make an 11" shock(I know Ohlin does not go that low) You would have a more stable bike instead of less stable.
I am mostly adding this for other readers in case they end up wanting to lower their bike and not have a tradeoff in stability.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
jss1975snow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback. How difficult is it to install? The ride now is not that bad, like I said I can live with it, but I'm sure if I could ride with it installed, I would be glad I did it. I'm borderline on either doing it or just letting it be. Dilema's? I found the installation instructions on the TT website, was it a pain the *** to install? Thanks

Last edited by jss1975snow; 12-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Try to ride a Harley like a crotch rocket & you discover they Harley's shortcomings in the handling department. Ride the Harley like a Harley and it's fine. If you want to ride like you're on a crotch rocket, add one to your garage. Then ride the bike that fits your mood or ride that day.

Quick Reply: Handling question?