Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator Rotor 2006 Dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM
BrendanMTalley
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It finally got me. Does anyone have a preferred vendor they trust for a stator/rotor kit? I am having a heck of a time even locating the parts online.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:22 PM
blitzkrieg3002
4th Gear

was out on a ride today, and felt something weird on my 06 street bob, looked down and saw the check engine light and battery light on. second ride on the bike after winter storage with trickle charger on the battery. I suspected maybe a bad battery, but I've verified it's not charging. I am getting ground continuity from all three of the stator plug wires coming from the case. I suspect the worst in a bad stator and stumbled onto this forum. I called up MOCO and they said there is no recalls for this year Harley for this issue. I know the bike Is now 11 years old. only 15k miles on it, do you guys think I should call again or possibly write Harley's mailing address and complain about this? I don't feel its right if the part was a known issue now theyre telling me it's not... bikes in a third party shop now and mechanic will diagnose and get back to me on Tuesday.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Jbeechey32
Stage II
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg3002
was out on a ride today, and felt something weird on my 06 street bob, looked down and saw the check engine light and battery light on. second ride on the bike after winter storage with trickle charger on the battery. I suspected maybe a bad battery, but I've verified it's not charging. I am getting ground continuity from all three of the stator plug wires coming from the case. I suspect the worst in a bad stator and stumbled onto this forum. I called up MOCO and they said there is no recalls for this year Harley for this issue. I know the bike Is now 11 years old. only 15k miles on it, do you guys think I should call again or possibly write Harley's mailing address and complain about this? I don't feel its right if the part was a known issue now theyre telling me it's not... bikes in a third party shop now and mechanic will diagnose and get back to me on Tuesday.
any update on this? I swapped battery and voltage regulator with the same issue. I'm contemplating on whether to call or not. It has to be the stator that's acting up, and if it is a known defective part Harley should pay. Please advise.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:47 PM
blitzkrieg3002
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jbeechey32
any update on this? I swapped battery and voltage regulator with the same issue. I'm contemplating on whether to call or not. It has to be the stator that's acting up, and if it is a known defective part Harley should pay. Please advise.
I ended up buying the parts and fixing myself. Upgraded the inner primary bearing as it's another common failure part while I was in there and the chain tensioner. I went back and forth with Harley. They are pieces of **** as far as I'm concerned and have told everyone I know about this story. They wouldn't help me out with anything. Even just some parts. What a bunch of criminals.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Jbeechey32
Stage II

I ended up buying the parts and fixing myself. Upgraded the inner primary bearing as it's another common failure part while I was in there and the chain tensioner. I went back and forth with Harley. They are pieces of **** as far as I'm concerned and have told everyone I know about this story. They wouldn't help me out with anything. Even just some parts. What a bunch of criminals.
damn that is ****ed up. Would you mind giving me some links to the parts you purchased? I am having trouble locating parts. Did you choose 06 two piece or 07 one piece rotor? Also any tips on this swap out would be appreciated. It will be my first time working in the primary. I am thinking about following this link and YouTube videos

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/809942-06-street-bob-ipb-bearing-stator-and-30t-sprocket.html

thank you for your quick reply!

-Jamal

Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 PM
blitzkrieg3002
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jbeechey32
damn that is ****ed up. Would you mind giving me some links to the parts you purchased? I am having trouble locating parts. Did you choose 06 two piece or 07 one piece rotor? Also any tips on this swap out would be appreciated. It will be my first time working in the primary. I am thinking about following this link and YouTube videos

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-sprocket.html

thank you for your quick reply!

-Jamal
For sure, that's the forum I followed when going in. I also have a shop manual. I have access to my dad's shop with a lot of nice tools so that helped but first I just jack the bike up with two people and a flat 1 by 6? about maybe 3-4 ft long and lower it to jack stands on either side of that and secure as best I can with tie downs for a make shift stand. front lifted up and back tire still on the ground.

a few of those parts I really feel will need an impact wrench to get off as there's Loctite and a b*#% to get off. I replaced the IPB with the baker bearing but removing the race was a pain, we had to tac weld a washer to the race and use a puller to pull it off as we couldn't find a cut off wheel to fit in the space as others suggested. obviously if you're just replacing the stator rotor you don't need to buy the baker bearing or the chain tensioner linked below, but I highly suggest replacing that IPB while you're in there if you think you can perform the task as you'll be back in at some point replacing it. I reused all bolts, and the outer primary gasket, ordered a new inner primary gasket. i'll post links to everything I ordered below. The Rotor I ordered is a one piece unit it says it's for a 06 but I think it's the same one as an 07 it doesn't look like the picture at all theres no bolts on the one I got, worked great good luck

items ordered from J&P cycle:

part number 223-309 Stator
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/223-...&totalResult=1

part number 362-084 Rotor
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/362-...&totalResult=1

Items ordered from amazon:

Baker Bearing:
Amazon Amazon

Chain Tensioner:
Amazon Amazon

Inner primary gasket:
Amazon Amazon

You'll also need a quart of whatever primary oil you use, I use mobil 1 synthetic. I hope this helps.

Last edited by blitzkrieg3002; 07-13-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:01 AM
Stiletto Bartice
Stage I

Had the EXACT same thing happen to me while I was riding my 06 Street last Sunday. The battery icon AND the check engine light came on. I thought I may need a new battery; the ride was a skosh rougher, but I didn't want to kill the engine till I got somewhere safe. Had to get a tow back home. Got her out of the hospital today. And learned that batter was fine. For some reason, in 2006 Harley decided to attach the rotor and stator. The rotor's attached bolts had sheared off and were tumbling around inside the unit. The copper wire from the rotor had broken off and loose pieces were all through the unit AND the clutch. It ALL had to be cleaned out and replaced. Cost me just over 1K upon discharge. Crazy.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Shootermwc
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www2.vtwinmfg.com/alternator...rotor-set.html
Check this out too. Just ordered one for mine.