Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-stock left grip removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Non-stock left grip removal/installation

I just got my new Avon Contour Chrome (PM Style) grips from eastern performance. They have no instructions but I've installed grips before. Except the left grip I installed before, on the left side, was mounted with set screws. So, all I had to do was cut the stock grip off, scrape off the glue residue and put the new one on and tighten the screws.

Now, I have HD "Pilot" grips on my bike that were installed by someone else when I had my new bars installed a couple of years ago. I always thought maybe the left grip installed under the lip of the left controls housing because there are no set screws but now I'm wondering if maybe it is glued on instead? Anyone know if HD grips install with glue on the left side? If so, what is the best way to get it off without possibly destroying the grip? Will heat help? If so, will a hairdryer do the trick?

Also, it appears these new grips definitely need glue on the left side. What's the best kind to get and a good place to get it from?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to motorcycle grips but on golf clubs you:
1) Cut the old ones off
2) Scrape the tape off
3) spiral two-sided tape on the shaft
4) lub with mineral spirits
5) slide the new grip
6) let dry 24 hrs

That's the best I can do.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Haha, if I ever dig out my clubs, I'll remember that...

Until then, if anyone can speak to the HD grips specifically, and/or the glue question, please post. I don't have a lot of time right now but I went out and I can actually rotate my left pilot grip either direction about an eighth of an inch but I can't tell still if it's installed up under the left controls or is just glued on.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on which HD grips you have. Some of them clamp up on the left side with no glue and some require glue.

If you want to try getting it off without cutting, you can try some compressed air, just shoot it up the grip and it should break the bond.

For the Avon grips, you will need glue and the dealership sells some pretty good glue for about $5. At least they do here. I'm not at home so I don't know the brand/name, just ask for grip glue.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Oh well, it seems an absolute answer to these things just never exists because nothing is made the same. Thanks for the responses. I've got to get some grip glue anyway because I got my son some new grips for his dirtbike for Christmas. I'll figure out the HD left grip when I take it apart. It feels like it's loose enough that I can get it off one way or the other without too much trouble. Now, the only challenge will be to not let those pesky little brass ferrules get away from me on the throttle side.

These new grips look great and feel comfortable. The pix don't do them justice, especially the rubber part of the grip.

Last edited by 2007fxdc; 12-10-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

man i have had a hell of a time getting my left grip (metal) off the bars... so much so that i taped it and powdered the bar with it on there... sucks! we have had customer send them on their bars asking us to remove them, tired heat/cold, oven, pounding, and have even had to cut through some grips... they like bond to the metal (i forget what it is called) i am in that situation right now on a set of grips i have on my bob

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I hear ya Joe. I had metal ones on before I changed bars. I don't know if they truly wouldn't fit the new bars as the dealer claimed or if they just beat them up so bad getting them off the old bars, they just told me they wouldn't fit the new ones so I'd buy another set. But I believe the grips that are on mine now have plastic sleaves in them and the new ones do as well.