Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spacing the rear pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default spacing the rear pulley

I have a '93 FXDWG and a friend mechanic told me that if I put a couple of spacers in the rear pulley I can run the stock OEM belt with a 150 tire in there. Can this be done????. How much would this affect the ride?

Another friend mechanic says that thiss will make the bike pull to the left and to just get a thinner belt and a thinner pulley... the thing is that to be honest, I don't want to spend that $$$ (or on spacing the primary) for this since I have no problem riding the stock 130 tire, but I would like the looks of the 150.

I dont want to make my bike less reliable with a smaller belt that might brake easier...

Last edited by El Chiguete; 12-06-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This can be done, but you can't go too far out. You can buy the spacers from JP Cycles and other aftermarket parts shops.

If I remember correctly, you need a 1/4" spacer for this mod. That will move the pulley away from your hub .250" which tranlates to about 6mm. That plus cutting the existing gap between belt and tire by 4mm will allow the 150. The belt will be closer to your tire, but as long as your wheel is straight it won't rub.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I am in the process of doing this very mod. The wheel is having a 150/80 Avon Venom fitted as I write. I have previously run a 140/90. I still have a wide belt. With the 140 on the bike I had just 3/16" clearance between the tyre and belt and removed the rubber curtain on the belt guard to get it in.

In the case of Avon Venoms their 140/90 is actually 143mm wide while their 150/80 is exactly 150mm wide. So with a 150 that 3/16" clearance I mentioned will be reduced to just .040" or 1/20". A bit too close! I am fitting two 1mm thick spacers, which will increase that clearance to 1/8".

Hope that helps! I am doing some other mods, so it may be a few weeks before I rebuild my bike and check everything is OK, or find any problems.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by Phrogman
That plus cutting the existing gap between belt and tire by 4mm will allow the 150.
Cutting what?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

remember too, that moving the rear pulley outboard will result in the belt running outward on the front pulley also. This can cause problems if you go too far.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by El Chiguete
Cutting what?
Bad choice of words, you're not cutting anything. What I meant was that you have an existing gap between your belt and tire. That gap is usually sufficient to make up a few more millimeters and allow for you to use the smallest spacer possible.

6.35mm spacer + existing gap (3 to 7.9mm or 1/8 to 5/16" (you should measure what you have now to calculate needed spacer size))= total mm you can increase tire size before hitting belt.

Essentially with my example, you'd be using 3.65mm of any existing gap between your belt and tire to increase tire size by 10mm total.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrogman
Bad choice of words, you're not cutting anything. What I meant was that you have an existing gap between your belt and tire. That gap is usually sufficient to make up a few more millimeters and allow for you to use the smallest spacer possible.

6.35mm spacer + existing gap (3 to 7.9mm or 1/8 to 5/16" (you should measure what you have now to calculate needed spacer size))= total mm you can increase tire size before hitting belt.

Essentially with my example, you'd be using 3.65mm of any existing gap between your belt and tire to increase tire size by 10mm total.
Dude, this is a harley forum, please state measurements in fractions or decimals of an inch. Save that metric crap for the rice forums!!!

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (03-01-2021)
Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jimsflh
Dude, this is a harley forum, please state measurements in fractions or decimals of an inch. Save that metric crap for the rice forums!!!
When they stop selling tires in metric sizes, I'll only mention SAE...Until then we deal with what they give us.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:11 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
The spacers I have just bought to go behind my Harley's rear pulley are 1mm thick.

Seems you need to be reminded that the USA went metric in 1975. Unfortunately when the law was signed off someone forgot to say when. Since then the rest of the World has done what your Government said they were going to do! You have some catching up to do....

Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master

I honestly don't get the wide tire kits... and this has to do with the mod that I want to do.

What do I need to make room for a bigger tire (besides the tire and wheel)? I don't get it... I think I can get those parts individually cheaper... so can you list what will the parts be on a kit?

I get that you need basicly is to space out the primary, have a longer crankshaft, a wider swingarm and a wider fender with the struts... and I think that all of that can be found for less than the normal 2K that a kit normally goes for!

Last edited by El Chiguete; 12-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: spacing the rear pulley