Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally the end to my IPB Problems (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally the end to my IPB Problems (I hope)

I know this has been discussed over and over, and many will not even bother to open this thread to read another 'IPB' post. But for those of you who have had problematic 06' inner primary bearings issues, you must read PKellyMC thread on this subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bearing.html

I have had 3 IPB failures since I purchased the bike new in 06', each time I presented the original "Amendment To Owner's Manual" pink slip, and there was no charge. But then there was that 'sound' again. I didn’t want another quick fix this time, I wanted it fixed right.. After reading Patrick Kelly's previously mentioned thread, I PM'ed him with a few questions...

The following is his reply. This is the guide that I followed step by step. Resulting in HD installing a new Chrome 07' doweled IP case, 07' doweled Transmission case, with a new Transmission gear pack. Plus they replaced the stator and rotor with a new compensator package. Now I feel that the 06' IPB issue is finally behind me.

This was Patrick's PM response to me:

Ronn
As to your IPB issue, wow!, 3 fails and they haven't done the "full Monty" fix yet. I'm going to assume that you've read my thread "Finally, Good News..." If you haven't yet, I'd recommend you start there. My friend (and HD dealership owner) Andreas provided me with the exploded view diagrams of the difference between the '06 and '07 IP Case; these can be found in the aforementioned thread. Start first with a phone call to Customer service in Milwaukee. This will get you a reference number that your, or any other shop can access. Describe in detail (and politely!) the headaches you've had so far, and ask that they PLEASE authorize the fix that includes the '07 transmission and IP Cases with the alignment dowels. My 2nd failure this May was outside the original warranty, and I have the extended warranty, but HD covered the fix on their own so I didn't have to pay the $50 co-pay/deductible.
I would tell the C-S person that several of us Forum members have gotten the full Monty fix upon our 2nd IPB failure and that, going on your 4th failure, you feel you should receive the same treatment. I'd stress that the continual failures and bearing replacements unfairly deprive you of riding time, and you're afraid to plan a long road trip, one of the reasons you bought a Harley in the first place.
You already have the original "Amendment To Owner's Manual" letter. Have the case drawings in front of you that I mentioned earlier.
I wouldn't discuss the chrome IP Case issue with C-S; that's pretty much between you and your shop. When/if they get the authorization from HD to give you the full Monty fix, there will be a list of stock parts that HD will provide to do the fix. Talk to your shop's parts guy and ask him to order you a chrome IP Case at the same time ($299)...be sure to order an '07 case! When they get in all the parts, have them install the chrome one, and return the black case ($399) for credit. Even paying the 15% restocking fee, the shop will come out money ahead.
Good Luck
Patrick Kelly

I also feel that a special thanks should go out to Christy, Lucky and Tim at San Jacinto Harley as well. They went to bat for me during the communications with the Milwaukee group. They really took the extra steps that make a great service dept. They really did more than they had too. I really cant say enough about this service team and their help.....

All ready to ride, but would'nt you know it, its Snowing in Houston,, Really!!