Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fryejs
I have a 2001 super glide sport that I have put a fatboy front end on with street glide front fender and full length FL rear fender. The wheels are from a fatboy (slotted) and everything is powder coated with wrinkle black. btw i have kept the speedo and tach in orig location for my riding habits. also i kept the stock ride height. Let me know what you think.

Nice job ... I am sure it will look better once you get photos of the finished paint ....

Been seeing a few more guys 'bellying up' to the FLST front end 'bar' in a manner of speaking ....

One thing I think might improve the look of the rear is maybe closing the gap at the front of the rear fender behind the battery and starter ... Rick Miller (Ackman1968) cut the front of his original fender off and mounted it below the Touring take-off fender he installed. Did a great job of blending it in so that it is hardly noticeable ... you might hit him up for some tips on how he did it ....

I have been considering blacking out my sliders on my front end ... but now that the MoCo came out with the Fat Boy Lo, I guess my style is now 'sanctioned' ....

Again ... great job ... looking forward to seeing more photos as you progress with your work ...

R/
'Chop

p.s. BTW dig your pipes ....

Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Each time I come back to this I can't wait to see it with the paint! The white and black is going to look sweet.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quebec HD was doing the dyna-fatboy conversions back in the late 90's early part of this decade. They used to call them "Lowboys" I'm not sure if they were the first but they were probably the most publicized. Course couple of years later the factory came out with the Fatbob...coincidence...Mmmm...you decide.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the contrary, I think you've ruined one of the best handling bikes Harley ever produced. You have simultaneously dumbed down performance and appearance. Sorry, you asked for opinions, it's just not for me. You've certainly put some work in to it, though.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
On the contrary, I think you've ruined one of the best handling bikes Harley ever produced. You have simultaneously dumbed down performance and appearance. Sorry, you asked for opinions, it's just not for me. You've certainly put some work in to it, though.
How do you figure? Have you riden a bike with these mods? I have and I can tell you I have noticed very little changes in the way it handles. I still ride it the same way I did before I converted mine and it still reacts the same.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
fryejs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a little extra for those who want to know...

This is what my stock rear fender looked like...notice it sits alot higher than everyone elses.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-stock-rear.jpg

My Bassani pro-streets right out the box and with the wrap.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-bassani.jpg
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-wrapped-bassani.jpg

Stock front end still on.
Attachment 82070

Last edited by fryejs; 12-06-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: cant get the stock front pic to load sorry!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
fryejs
Intermediate

All right here is no front end.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-no-front-at-all.jpg

Here is the removal of the stock bump stop.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-stock-bumpstop-removal.jpg

Removal of the bump stop of the fatboy trees.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-bumpstop-grinding.jpg

First test fit.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-1st-fit-test.jpg

New front on.
cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...-new-front-no-fender.jpg

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah, maybe you're right Ackman. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I like the way your bike looks and this isn't much different, just needs paint. I forget also that the front ends aren't much different underneath the cowbells. Of course, he is giving up some performance. You didn't start with an FXDX. This swap required him to give up the adjustable forks and dual disc brakes.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
fryejs
Intermediate

I never adjusted my front shocks from factory and yes i did give up dual disks...But my 99 Buell X1 only has a single front disk and you can do stoppies on it. Thanks to everyone for looking and hopefully soon I will have some completed pics...keep your fingers crossed!!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Yah, maybe you're right Ackman. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I like the way your bike looks and this isn't much different, just needs paint. I forget also that the front ends aren't much different underneath the cowbells. Of course, he is giving up some performance. You didn't start with an FXDX. This swap required him to give up the adjustable forks and dual disc brakes.
That just goes to show my ignorance, I didn't realize the front end on his was high end. I knew there were Dynas out there with adjustable front ends but not owning one or looking to get one I never knew which ones had it. With that I will have to agree with you, he is making some concessions to go for the look. I still like it though!

Quick Reply: cross a fatboy and a dyna and get...