Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Black Rear Fender Chop -- Touch up or Re-Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denim Black Rear Fender Chop -- Touch up or Re-Paint?

Thinking about either chopping my rear fender above the tail light, or ditching the tail light and filling the hole... I will either go to a side mount light or get the kit to switch the turn signals to running/brake/signal lights. I've heard that the Denim Black is difficult to touch up... do I get HD touch up paint (if it exists) or can I take it to an automotive paint shop -- is it even possible for them to match the Denim paint?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

we have matched it with powder before.... you can also just get a bit of rattle can and just touch up the lip. if you tape the fender up right there will be VERY little touching up to do
(somone will know the rattle can match, i can not think of it off hand)

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it right you will only need very small touching up. I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to use two layers of masking tape over the area you plan to cut. Then make your cut completely on the tape. The only area you would need to repair will be the edge of the fender. You'll want to sand the edge smooth and round it slightly. If you are careful you can use a satin colored high temp paint to touch up. Thatis, unless you get it on the flat surface of the fender. I've cut many of these type fenders and are always fairly simple to do. Just take your time with it. Hope that helps.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Try this site: http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...denim-2013.cfm
I haven't tried this yet but probably will. I've been using a rattle can of Barbaque Black with less than professional results.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys... I really appreciate the responses and advice.

Nightking... thanks for the tips, I will definitely use them if I do the chop. That was great info for me as I have no idea what I'm doing and didn't know about the tape trick. That combined with 08fxdf43202's link to the Colorrite paint may do the trick as long as my crappy workmanship doesn't ruin the hole thing!

Joe... I like your idea of powder coating too. I was thinking about filling in all the small holes while I was at it, so I may end up having the entire fender repainted... didn't know you could match it with powder, seems like a great idea.

08fxdf43202... your fender is one of the ones inspiring me to try this... that thing looks great!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM
latnyte
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im in the same spot my local body shop guy thinks i should just smooth it out and leave it whole im torn and going to see what it looks like with the sporty tank im making for it before i decide. these dynas have great lines on that back fender though!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
panic_fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My chop went right through one of the tail light mounting holes. I had a local painter weld a back plate in and then fill the hole with weld and filler. He had an "interesting" time trying to match the denim black so I had him shoot the entire bike in flat black.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Can our local HD dealer do that kind of work?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
panic_fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said, "our" local HD dealer. Are you in SW Idaho as well? The dealer here doesn't have a body shop so they send out that kind of work.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

No I actually meant: do dealer generally offer that service? But it's possible to go through them then even if they do not do it theirselves?

I'm just not that handy of a guy and never chopped a fender nor have the tools for that...

Quick Reply: Denim Black Rear Fender Chop -- Touch up or Re-Paint?