Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Wide Glide or Softail Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Schneider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Wide Glide or Softail Custom?

Looking to trade in my sporty 1200 for either a wide glide or a softail custom. I love the forward controls and the 'chopper' look of both bikes. Can you tell me what differences/advantages/disadvantages of each bike?

I know that both bikes are great, I just need some advice on comparing them from someone who has ridden both...

Thanks

Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest differance I noticed was the $10,000.00 differance in price at the local HD. I have always liked the looks of a softail because it has that rigid frame look. While the Dyna has the standard motorcycle shocks on the side look. JMO

Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1 diference is a dyna will have more ponies on top. Advantages dynas are a little easier on the bank account at the sart anyway. Whichever you choose it's a harley - N joy it!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 PM
All_American_HD
Stage II

dyna are a little cheaper and the ride is more comfortable, softails cost a little more but in my opion they look better and are easier to customize, sotail frames hold up better to high horse motors too, its all in what u want, both are great

Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well, comparing new to new, the 2010 wideglide is a much bigger bargain. It looks better and has more performance, and cost a couple grand less. The softail custom, is better if you are small statured. The seat, pegs, and bars, all combine to give much less roominess than the dyna. I personally prefer the dyna, of course, other may not.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
HDRusty
Cruiser

1+ on the dyna. Of course I own one so... I just loved the look of the wide glide. Go figure.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You know which one I will say judging from my sig line....lol....

I find that the vibration at low rpm's is more noticeable on the WG than it is on my dad's softie. After third gear or so there is a noted smoothing out on the WG. My top end seems a little nicer as well but exhaust and fuel managemet setups will give more or less of what you want. As far as looks....if you put the two side by side the WG will be a bit "boxier" than the ST with the more triangular frame (particularly towards the rear). I have said in a post a couple of months back, I like the ST better naked and the WG better dressed as a result of the angles. But like everyone else says........it is all in what you like. Get some pix up when you get it!!

Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were the one making the decision and buying used I would go with WG but if looking at new then I'm not sure. Price would not be a factor because the savings on the WG would be eaten up modding it to where I think a WG should be from stock. Then both, WG and ST, would need to be personalized. I guess all things being equal I would personally buy a WG but both look and ride great IMO.

FYI, before I bought my WG I looked at STC also but got a better deal on a WG. I only test road a STC once and thought the ride was nice but the bike needed cosmetic work and for the price I was not willing to go there.

You'll enjoy either way I'm sure.

P.S. If you haven't already you should post this in the ST thread as well. I did when I was trying to decide between the two. Very different view points, obviously.

Last edited by jb1023; 11-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 PM
danktat
Road Warrior

P.S. If you haven't already you should post this in the ST thread as well. I did when I was trying to decide between the two. Very different view points, obviously.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
danktat
Road Warrior

Quick Reply: Dyna Wide Glide or Softail Custom?