Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straightshots HS vs Rush

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 AM
bbqbrisket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Straightshots HS vs Rush

Ok, this has got to be boring to everyone to death; even me. But I am still trying to get more info on my decision to get the V/H Straightshots HS (I need a slight quietness) or the Rush w/ 2.0

I've read a whole shipload on how great each one of them are individually but not necessarily comparatively. I have listened to a bunch of you tube sounds that are distorted because sometimes they are in the garage or the video shows them driving down the road a mile away and you cant even tell what kind of bike it is.

Any way, the sound I would like to to get is a deep rich throaty somewhat low volume, obviously not too low. Well, then again, I guess almost everyone wants that except for those who prefer loud.

More help would be appreciated. BTW, I do like the look of the HS full system one piece look as opposed the slip-ons

Thanks in advance for any help many of you I know can provide me with.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are that concerned about getting the right sound I think you need to take the time and hang around bike events and listen. The V&H are typically raspier, the rush has the hard edges smoothed over, more mellow perhaps. Some like the rasp, some think its annoying. They will both be loud, not as loud as open pipes but loud enough to receive attention.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
If you are that concerned about getting the right sound I think you need to take the time and hang around bike events and listen. The V&H are typically raspier, the rush has the hard edges smoothed over, more mellow perhaps. Some like the rasp, some think its annoying. They will both be loud, not as loud as open pipes but loud enough to receive attention.
I don't agree with this assessment of the RUSH mufflers. I had a set of 1.75's, and found them to be raspy and they would literally reverberate in my helmet. Had them on for 2 days and put them on the equipment exchange. Ear plugs didn't help the reverberations at alll. I was very disappointed... (2008 Wide GLide)

Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

re-assess your choices and get a pipe that actually does more than spurt out some noise...D&D fatcat, thunderheader, RB racing come to mind. The rush is not quiet and deep nor is the V&H. The 2-1 systems are better for what you describe as wanting.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
bbqbrisket
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"re-assess your choices and get a pipe that actually does more than spurt out some noise..."

This one I am not understanding. Are you actually suggesting PERFORMANCE as opposed to sound or something else?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doublenaughtspy
I don't agree with this assessment of the RUSH mufflers. I had a set of 1.75's, and found them to be raspy and they would literally reverberate in my helmet. Had them on for 2 days and put them on the equipment exchange. Ear plugs didn't help the reverberations at alll. I was very disappointed... (2008 Wide GLide)
You happen to one of a very few riders that are disappointed in the Rush. Is there another open slip on you like better, or is it just open pipes in general? Music to one's ears is noise to another. My 2.0s are smooth, but it took maybe 200 miles for the packing to settle and mellow out. They are tuned well for my helmets with or without earplugs. All pipes sound different when riding and there are differences between helmets.

That's why that, unless you are posing for the masses, most suggest listening to the pipes live.

Most tuned exhaust systems sound better than slip ons, and tuned systems don't hurt performance.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqbrisket
"re-assess your choices and get a pipe that actually does more than spurt out some noise..."

This one I am not understanding. Are you actually suggesting PERFORMANCE as opposed to sound or something else?
performance and sound quality. The Rush 2.0 is not a Quiet slipon. Neither is the V&H from the bikes I have heard. The thunderheader or fatcat is quieter and deeper than them. Not to mention a huge performance advantage you will feel as well. So, as a previous owner of Rush slipons(lots of noise no real difference over stock from what I felt), to a current owner of a fatcat, get a 2-1 instead of just putting on something that spurts out more noise. Most slipons or 2-2 pipes simply make more noise when compared to a nice 2-1 exhaust system that makes better noise, more torque, and more HP on our stock and modified for street engines. I am not a proponent of more noise no (or less) go exhaust modifications. Also the tuning does have a big effect on sound output. Sometimes pipes or slipons will sound raspy over a better tuned bike that gets a deeper rumble. If you have to have a 2-2, get the full V&H system, the one piece shields do look really good over the stock header and slipons option. And the V&H is a quieter system over Rush(with the added variable of a quiet baffle as well).

Last edited by rounder; 11-27-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with rounder if you wait come quietness. I've heard the t-header, D&D and V&H big radius 2-1. They all have a deep throaty sound that sounds awesome.

Rush 2.0 my buddy had and were very raspy and had a lot of decel pop. If you go rush get the smaller baffles for the some what quietness.

V&H is not quiet with the standards or the quiet baffles. Yes loud with both sets. I'm happy with the V&H slip ons. It's not raspy with the standard baffles or quiet baffles. I don't have any decel popping (with stock spark plugs). I'll post some V&H videos here in a sec!! Here's one!

Here's with the quiet baffles
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...aightshots.flv

Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's with the standard baffles more or less it was just a tone change!!

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...andardBafs.flv

Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's the quiet baffles from a distance.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...omadistant.flv

Quick Reply: Straightshots HS vs Rush