Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put old school FL style fenders on a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM
motorhedmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL style Bob

I have an '06 'Bob and have been wanting to put a full, FL style rear fender on it, I think with the apes it would give it the old outlaw pan look. If anyone has done it, I'd like to know which fender works best, the FL or Heritage Softail/ Fatboy- and what years are wide enough.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike:

The rear Touring fenders (Road King, Electra Glide, etc) as well as the Softail fenders (Heritage, Deluxe) do not extend down in the front as far as the Dyna models ... this is because that area is covered on the touring bikes by the side panels and saddlebags and the Softails only come down to the swingarm ....

Those who have used the Touring fenders typically cut off the front section of their Dyna fender and add it as an extension at or around where the fender meets the strut (at the rear of the seat) ... if a decent job is done, it is hardly noticeable ....

The other option is to use a fender from a pre-'84 FLH and plug the original mounting holes and drill out new mounting holes to align with the modern Dyna strut mounting points .... Patrick57 and a couple others (can't think of names offhand) have done this ...

I am currently in the process of adapting an old-style fender for my bike ... don't expect to have photos of it for a while as my bike (and new fender are in transit from the West coast) ... hope to complete it within about a month ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
motorhedmike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of the Sumax fenders, but it was too wide, so I cut a strip out of the middle, but once I got to looking at the two halves, it's going to need some work to make the halves match- the quality of their work isn't very good. And it would need some sort of metal reinforcement to handle a passenger seat. I sort of shelved that idea in favor of widening a 2000 FLH fender I just picked up on ebay. I think adding the front part of the Dyna fender is a good idea too. When I get into it, I'll make sure to get some pics. I have a Wide Glide fender on there now and I ran the wires through the strut covers to make it a little easier to swap fenders back and forth. I'm really surprised to see so much interest in this idea, cuz my friends think I'm nuts. But they ride softails, so who gives a crap what they think anyway?