Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo relocate done

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Speedo Relocate

Very clean looking install. Well done.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Good job.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny's World
It's funny... I like the FXD speedometer "sticking out like a sore thumb off the handlebars." I test drove a Fatbob recently and didn't particularlly like looking down at the tank as much as required to see how fast I was going.

I'm with 'ya. I like the aircraft-style fuel cap and the tank fairing, too. I don't want to look down at the tank while riding.

I like the Super Glide (FXD) but I would rather have the black engine. Any Dyna other than the SG then means getting a smaller speedo to mount on the handlebars. I don't know if it's workable.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 PM
fftj00
Novice

Very nice job Rounder!

Thanks for sharing your work. Can't wait for the details!

Last edited by fftj00; 11-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some details:
The speedo is a 2" speedometer kit made by H-D. Unfortunately it is no longer made. My local dealer did a dealer search and found one in stock at a dealer in Ga. There were many more throughout the country listed at the time(got mine last year). Part #'s for the kit are 74482-05 for 04-05. 74607-05 for 06 and later.
Th speedo. fits just right in the stock fuel gauge location. I broke the fuel gauge apart and utilized the trim ring over the top of the speedo for a perfect fit to the console. The ring on the fuel gauge is utilized in the fitment of the console. The indicator assembly was a cut and fit operation. I kinda wish I had better skills to figure out a more flush way to mount it. In order to fit the indicators, the fuel gauge sending unit connector must be cut away. So If you have fuel injection which utilizes the same connector, you need to look elsewhere for location of the indicator lights. I extended the wiring for the trip reset button and mounted it in the front of the console.
I also figured something else out looking at options for this install. If you were to choose to get a headlight fairing like the one found on the night rod, a small gauge can easily be installed in the fairing. A simple use of double sided tape. So, you could in fact buy a dakota digital, or auto meter gauge and hide it easily in the fairing. To me this would be the way to go if you like the fairing look.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

NICE! Do us all a favor and post some better pics! It really doesn't do your work any justice!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 AM
de79
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nic job! I saw another easy solution:

anyone running this setup?

Last edited by de79; 12-02-2009 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dyna for life (12-30-2021)
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rounder
Just tossed the gauge. I don't need it. Got a reserve and trip odometer. Really makes a difference not having the speedo sticking out like a sore thumb off the handlebars.
Nice work - I would have never thought of that. Feels like a new bike without the speedo sitting up there!
George

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bucket13
NICE! Do us all a favor and post some better pics! It really doesn't do your work any justice!
Yo Rounder...what up?? No new pictures yet?

I just began to relocate my indicator lights on my FXDL from the handlebar risers to the tank console (kinda similar mod as yours). I took a bunch of pictures....I will post them up when my console gets back from powder coat and I get everything reassembled.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Nice job Rounder and good solution for an ongoing problem for those of us with clamp mounted speedos. I see you put the indicators where I put mine.

Quick Reply: speedo relocate done