Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full face helmet speakers?

I'm starting to think I'd like to hear some music on the bike sometimes. I'm hoping to do a 2500 mile trip to Halifax and back this coming year. I'd like to hear from anyone who wears a full-face helmet and has tried in-helmet speakers. I've done the earphone thing, and it's okay but they start to hurt after awhile and getting the helmet on without dislodging the earphones is a PITA. I'm considering these:

http://helmetaudio.com/khxc/index.ph...156ln232f83j09

Anyone tried this? How did they sound?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only tell you I have had good luck with J&M Corp.

http://www.jmcorp.com/

Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

You tried earphones or earbuds? I took a set of earphones apart and stuffed them into my helmet without issue.
Cheaper than your option.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I tried earbuds. Put them in my ears and then put the helmet on, but the pressure from the helmet on my ears made the buds hurt after awhile. Plus pulling the helmet on seemed to always dislodge the buds in my ears which was annoying.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

that's a pretty cool option. I'm kinda tired of always messin' with my earbuds too. Let us know what you do...

Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

On my snowmobile helmet... i pulled speakers out of a set of head phones, put htos in the inner liner of the helmet, drilled and tapped a jack plug on the outside of the helmet and was good to go! it rocks, just unplug when i get off the sled... when i am on my rocket... YES I RIDE A ROCKET... when i am jamming the twisties... i did the same set up but i did not drill and tap my helmet, i ran the wiring with a 2 way female plug tot he back of the head liner on the helmet... same way just plugs in... the little speakers from a good quality set of head phones (not the ear bud kind) will work just fine. i think i have 35 bucks total in both helmets! just took a bit of soldering

Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JRK5892
On my snowmobile helmet... i pulled speakers out of a set of head phones, put htos in the inner liner of the helmet, drilled and tapped a jack plug on the outside of the helmet and was good to go! it rocks, just unplug when i get off the sled... when i am on my rocket... YES I RIDE A ROCKET... when i am jamming the twisties... i did the same set up but i did not drill and tap my helmet, i ran the wiring with a 2 way female plug tot he back of the head liner on the helmet... same way just plugs in... the little speakers from a good quality set of head phones (not the ear bud kind) will work just fine. i think i have 35 bucks total in both helmets! just took a bit of soldering
1+ on the rocket. Some times you just want to drop a knee...

I use Sure "ear buds". They jam inside your ear and are noise canceling. I can usually wear them for at least 4-5 hours before my ears need a break.

I do like your idea though, it sure would make getting the helmet on/off a little easier.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

The is kind of a dumb question, but how do you get them to "stay" in the helmet? Are do you Velcro tape them to the liner, or stitch them in?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think i used rubber cement to be honest... on my snowmobile hemet they where stupid tight in there so i did not use anyting they just stayed there... on my buddies rocket helmet i did i did not use anythign so that he can move them a bit in case the pressure was in a bad spot

Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDRusty
The is kind of a dumb question, but how do you get them to "stay" in the helmet? Are do you Velcro tape them to the liner, or stitch them in?
My 3/4 and my FF HJCs have little pockets in the ear cavities. I stuffed the speakers in there and let the cord dangle. I use an iPod. If I'm running without the music, I stuff the cord into the helmet liner. I have less than 10 bucks and 5 minutes into mine.
KISS method.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet speakers?