Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sudden idle problem , need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
snooper0069
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden idle problem , need advice

My 2007 Street Bob was running great a few days ago when I took her out. I fueled up and put 75 miles just riding around the countryside. Right before coming in I would come to a stop and the idle was really low. A few times it even died out from being low. During the past year I had this problem a few times but it always straightened itself out on its own. Im running after market pipes, high flow air filter and fuelpak.I checked for possible air leaks or anything loose and cant find anything wrong

Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 AM
ofuzz_2000
Advanced

I have a 07 Ultra and the same problem. Had it in the shop twice. Still have problem

Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

if it happned right after you fueled up check the out the fuel maybe drain the tank and use a diffferent gas station. also add some stabil of seafoam they may help if it is a fuel issue.. also check you tank vent.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had the problem as well. I talked to the service guy about it at the HD dealer he's pretty good and even hooked my bike up to the diagnostics and found nothing. This was earlier this summer. I talked to him agian about it and he just told me that HD has a service bulliten out now about the issue with 07 bikes and they have a flash update for the ECM that is suppose to help fix the problem and the service bullitien also tells them to check the voltage and what to look for on the voltages on the throttle position sensor so i got to get mine over to him to have this done here soon.

At first i thought it was the PCIII as iam having the problem and also the bike cuts in and out now and then like iam loosing fuel. I want to get the update done first and if that don't work then ill go from there.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd say check the connections on the battery and also the FP connections into the ecm harness. Make sure they're tight.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snooper0069
My 2007 Street Bob was running great a few days ago when I took her out. I fueled up and put 75 miles just riding around the countryside. Right before coming in I would come to a stop and the idle was really low. A few times it even died out from being low. During the past year I had this problem a few times but it always straightened itself out on its own. Im running after market pipes, high flow air filter and fuelpak.I checked for possible air leaks or anything loose and cant find anything wrong

This exact same thing happened to me this two days ago on Sunday on my 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom. Bike ran fine for about 75 miles. Then for about 30 miles of some stop and go, my bike would idle very slowly and 3 times it stalled out. However, the the end of the 200 mile ride, the problem went away completely. Is this fuel related? I also have occasional detonation that comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I'm thinking fuel related. I have V&H Straightshot Slipons, SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner and V&H FuelPak. Nothing's leaking, plugs are fine, etc. Bike now runs fine....

Is there a number for this Technical Bulletin for the ECM flash?

Richard

Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take off your air cleaner and look in the upper left area of the intake... theres a tiny hole there that is access to the idle control servo gear... take some carb cleaner and spray the gunk out of the hole and it should idle fine afterwards..

Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on cleaning the IAC and refilling the fuel tank. Also if you run in stop and go after on the highway and the motor heats up to a certain point, the ECU will switch over to a idle mode with settings that help cool the bike. It think the baggers cut off one cylinder. You may not have run across this till recently. It makes it easier to stall when taking off. If you blip the throttle off idle it will run fine for awhile. Harley didn't get the ECU program just right and there can be idle and stalling issues. Running winter fuel mix in hot weather doesn't help.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My bike started doing the same thing mid-way
through the summer. Stock intake and just some
slip-ons is all that I've modded in that respect.

I'll have to check out the IAC stuff thanks for
that.

OhioSkully-- do you happen to know any more info
on that bulletin? Like the bulletin number?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Theo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is your battery? I ask because my bike was doing the same exact thing until it just completely died one day. Turned out it was a bad battery. After putting a new one in, all of my idle problems have disappeared. So check your battery before doing anything too expensive.

Quick Reply: sudden idle problem , need advice